auto tail light on bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

need a little help here. im mounting 2 of these old 59 Cadillac light to my bike and am wondering how i can get them to light up, they are 12v auto taillights. Can i wire 2 9v batteries together or what would be the best way? and ideas would really help. they are old incandescent style not LED

aa169am.jpg

With 2 9 volt batteries:

Wired in parallel = 9 volts. A 12v bulb will light up but be dimmer than powered with 12v.
Wired in series = 18 volts. A 12v bulb will be very bright, but may not last too long.

This link gives a "how to" wire both ways. You can get clip-on 9v battery terminals at Radio Shack for cheap to make battery changes easy.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_ba ... iring.html

I'd suggest getting a cheap 2 pack of 12v bulbs at the auto store, and give it a try, you may sacrifice the one at 18 volts, but it might last longer than you think. The 9 volt one might be bright enough to suit you.

Experiment.

Edited to add: If you decide to run at 18volts, pay attention to the heat the 12v bulb generates. I'd hate to see you melt that pretty caddie bullet lens.

AAA, AA, C, and D size batteries are all 1.5 volts. 8 of any of these wired in series would get you 12 volts. I guess you could wrap them in a duct tape bundle. Since you will most likely have to solder jumper wires between the battery terminals, "changing batteries" will be a super pain.

I think I'd look at the lawnmower store for a small 12v battery and get a cheap trickle charger for it.

sweet thanks! ill look for the 6v and i do recall some model race car batteries that are rechargeable and compact.

I think you might be disappointed with the 12 volt bulbs in those taillights. I suggest you find a couple of cheap (check “Dollar Store") LED flashlights and fit the components into your cool new taillights. I recently converted my headlight from incandescent to LED, and I am pleasantly surprised at the brightness and battery life! I disassembled an aluminum, 9 led flashlight for the parts, and fit them into my old headlight housing during my lunch break at work. Well,Well worth the time!
ps, welcome to RatRodBikes.com!

I'm not sure what your taillight is from but a '59 Cadillac would have red lenses, not amber. Gary

thanks glad to be here!

Fireproof said:
I recently converted my headlight from incandescent to LED, and I am pleasantly surprised at the brightness and battery life! I disassembled an aluminum, 9 led flashlight for the parts, and fit them into my old headlight housing during my lunch break at work. Well,Well worth the time!
ps, welcome to RatRodBikes.com!

did you daisy them to one switch? since i have two tail lights near my seat ill have to wire them somehow to one switch. what did you use for power source?

B607 said:
I'm not sure what your taillight is from but a '59 Cadillac would have red lenses, not amber. Gary

yea i have the red ones, the amber was just an example.

thanks alot for all the help so far guys!

figured it out. took apart 2 led flashlight that fit perfectly into the socket. a little electical tape and a 4 AA battery holder and im in business.

thanks for the help fellas

I used hot-melt glue to assemble my headlight. The LEDs are on a single, round printed-circuit board . . . I soldered new lead wires to the back of the p.c. board and then to the original headlight switch. I used the battery holder from the flashlight . . .3 AAA.
I'd share a pic or two, but my camera died! :cry:
I'd love to see pics of your lights though. :wink:

Latest posts

Back