Axle Material

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to replace the axle stud on my bike. My work can custom make threaded studs cheaply for me. I live near the beach and was thinking of using SS. Any thoughts on using SS either 18-8 or 316? Is it strong enough or would that material be too brittle? If not stainless what other material and would zinc be better than plain? What material are normal axles made of?

An axle is generally made of mild steel. The last thing you want is an axle that is very hard. You want your axle to have a bit of give so it doesn't snap. Gary

So would 18-8 (304) or 316 be too brittle? I have access to the other materials but i like the idea of SS. Guess I could just try it... Lol

Trying to remember back to my trade school days, but I think from memory stainless is slightly more ductile (flexible) than normal steel, so the opposite of brittle.

Personally I would go the 304, it is closer to standard steel strength, and it is rust resistant enough for most purposes.

Luke.

P.S. Let us know how you go! Never know, you might even sell some on here...

304 SS is a bit on the soft side and cannot be heat treated. It is easy to work with, and has good corrosion resistance. 416 would be a better choice.

Just checked my material orders: we have been buying 303 for stainless steel axles.

Latest posts

Back