Badges! Condiments! Science!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to my penchant of bring extra crusty bikes home I am always on the prowl for ways to ease the de-crusting process. I have heard of the mystical qualities of ketchup being useful in the de-crustifying of stuff so when three packets found their way into my possession it was time to give it a whirl. As always, if you decide to try this at home, please don your full safety apparel including gloves, face shield, rubber apron, and steel toed boots.

The stinking badge before:

20210119_203155.jpg

A whole lot of tarnish going on.

The laboratory:

20210122_151143.jpg

This was done on a Friday evening at work and left to its own devices until my shift began on the following Monday.

Monday upon opening the container:

20210125_154638.jpg

The smell was not appetizing. Also note the green gelatinous substance sneaking out from under it. I took it to the slop sink and rinsed it out which promptly clogged the drain. After the sink unclogging penalty, the stinking badge was appraised for evidence of ketchup science results.

A little too clean:

20210125_163353.jpg

That is some raw brass right there. It is hard to make out the features it got ketchup cleaned so well. Time for some corrective science. As I was sitting at my desk the lab supplies needed to be readily at hand. A number 2 lead pencil was employed (FWIW, number 2 lead pencils contain no lead or actual number 2). I scribbled all over the stinking badge and then burnished it on a shop towel. Now we're talking. It looks aged again in a more better way.

Number 2 lead pencil treatment:

20210125_163438.jpg

So that is my story and I'm sticking with it. This bit of science raises many possibilities. Dijon mustard? Pickle relish? The refrigerator is a veritable chemistry warehouse so explore explore its many wonders.

That is all.

I'm curious if the cleaning effect of katsup is from the vinegar. Would it be a less smelly process in a diluted vinegar solution?

PS I've also heard of molasses being used for rust removal. And cola.
To the Bat-Pantry!
Vinegar is acidic and tomatoes are acidic and the combined acids probably have a name but I'm to lazy to hunt it down. There is probably some salt and riboflavin there too. Powerful stuff.

Latest posts

Back