Barefoot Delivery- Last build shots...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Barefoot Delivery Service- Early Mock Up

i like your style, very nice! 8) 8)

Re: Barefoot Delivery Service- Early Mock Up

That's the "baddest" frame in the build off! Looks killer the way it is. But that frame would look killer even in pink!

Re: Barefoot Delivery Service- Paint Progress

Well, between a water main leak, hot water tank leak and being in the last week of teaching school before the summer break, life's been slightly busy and the build has unfortunately sat there staring at me, begging for some attention. Well, tonight I had the time to love on it a little. Only a few pics, but progress has finally been made!

The stable/garage/paint drying room/storage/...
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

My front basket/rack will be built entirely out of this plus a few screws. $5 ain't bad for a basket...
ry%3D400

Frame got primer shot tonight (too dark for pics) and hopefully 1st coat of color on the weekend. I've been watching the other builds and they're looking sweet! What an awesome field this year... so fun to be a part of.

Re: Barefoot Delivery- 6/15 Rough rack and more paint!

Finally bid farewell to school and now I'm able to whittle my summer away on the build off... there are perks to teaching!
Rough draft of the rack is done. I used two fence planks, 20 screws, a 3 foot long wooden-square-dowell-type thing and an old reflector bracket that met the hacksaw. Now all it needs is the braces (which I messed up on :shock: ) and some nice varnish.

Question: How do you get a sweet high gloss clear coat on wood? I want the rack to be shiny and smooth. Any ideas?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bracket on the bottom to hook up to the fork where the fender/light hole is. My son wanted to pitch in! Cute chubby hands...
ry%3D400

A little better shot of the paint. It's a satin blue by good ol' Rust-o-leum.

ry%3D400

Bit of a teaser... I'll be using both of these on my build!
ry%3D400

OK, long post. BUT: for those of you that saw my intro to the build, I mentioned getting hit with my son in our trailer. Here's the new set-up, courtesy of State Farm Insurance. $75 craigslist find Electra Sparker and Burley gave us a discounted upgrade on a new trailer. THey are the best trailer manufacturer out there and an amazing company to deal with. We're rollin' again! And it's super safe... we reflect for miles, I think!

ry%3D400

slowerisbetter said:
...OK, long post...

long posts with lot's of pics are the best! :)

sport_117.jpg

sport_118.jpg

^ I've used boatlaquer for the wooden seat on my Cartboardtracker. It's thick, shiny, and clear/transparent but it does darken the wood a bit. Lot's of contrast.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16826&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45#p177491

Herr- Thanks for the tip! Funny story: I stumbled on your build post for that bike and saw that rack after I posted my update yesterday! Kinda' cool that you jumped on with that exact picture. Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going that route.

Wow what a story! I would go nuts If that happens to me.
Bike looks amazing and so does the rack, keep building!!!

So, do you weld barefoot too? :lol:

Ha! I wish! Alas, I fear burns through my feet would be worse than having to close off my toes for a few minutes. :) Thanks for the kudos!

Re: Barefoot Delivery- 6/20 Need a truing stand, but this'll do!

Yikes, long time since an update! Finished painting the frame a Satin blue by Rustoleum. I'm loving how it turned out, but the pic makes it look alot more glossy than it really is... ah well. Pedals came in from Felt and I'm stoked that the color matches the Electra tires: I was curious if the two companies had the same version of "cream" and turns out they do! :)

IMG_1619.jpg

Poor man's truing stand... :shock:

IMG_1620.jpg

Pedals and tires for the perfect match!

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Well, I'm off to Guatemala tomorrow for a 10 day getaway (lots of hammock time!) so hopefully someone comes by and magically puts it all together... OK, maybe not. I love doin' that any way. Still have to trick out the wheels, grips and seat and try my hand at some lettering and stripes... yikes! That Aug. 1st deadline is comin'!

Re: Barefoot Delivery- 6/29 Need a truing stand, but this'll do!

You should be back from Guatemala by now.
Let us see the latest on this build. I am ready to see another rat utility bike.

Re: Barefoot Delivery- Grips 7/21

Alright, I'm back! Guatemala was crazy (no lane lines, street signs and the wildest switchbacks I've ever descended in a Mazda 2 no less) but an absolute blast! My wife revived some of her parasites she picked up while living there 13 years ago so I've been busy playing nurse and taking care of my son, but I finally made it out to the garage last night in a balmy, humid monsoon-ish 108 degrees to fashion some grips.

I used the tops of two old shovels I had in the garage and hollowed out the grips with my poor-man's "drill press" :lol:

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

On, but not secure. Any ideas on how to lock them in? I'm struggling with that right now...

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

So, I still have wheel work, a seat to cover and I few other little details to hash out... yikes! Time is tickin! Is it too early to start planning for next years build off?!?! :wink:

Great work with your rat man's drill press! Very cool handles.

Depending on how loose they are you can wrap some electrical tape around the bars.Build it up until they fit snugly, then tap them on with a rubber mallet. I have had a few bamboo bikes and that's how they were all put on.Good luck,looks nice so far.
-Kreep-

very cool grips i have use old wood salt n pepper shakers they work great u just have to ream them out a lil bit

scuff up the bars with 80 grit. then mix sawdust & gorilla glue to make a paste. get it tacky and past both the bars then the grips. once it is on you wont get them back off, they will be part of the bar.

Re: Barefoot Delivery-Last preps!

OK, so I'm done with the Delivery, but I figured I needed to post my last couple build shots. It's 9:45pm in Arizona on Sunday night so I made it! Friday night the bike was still in pieces, down to the spokes laying around my living room floor. But, my wonderful wife let me tinker all weekend and at about 6 o'clock tonight I buttoned the last hub shiner and called it done... for now! Anyway, a few final build shots...

Focused on popping the bubbles in the contact paper for the "wood" wheels...

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

Prepping the valve covers.

IMG_1772.jpg

Seat work: Tried a vinyl thing first (in the background) which failed pretty badly so I re stretched new stuff and it turned out great!

IMG_1770.jpg

Alright, time to post the final product. This was a sweet summer of building!

Back