Basic Help - First Attempt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Having had a summer of fun in wet England on my 'off the shelf' electra rat fink and 8ball lowrider I've decided over the winter to having a go at personalising/customising my other two cruiser bikes.

Couple of questions....

Whats the best way to remove existing paint - sandpaper and rubbing or paint remover products

Being as this is my first go.... what sort of results can i expect from a rattle can

What does powder coating come out like (steel frames).... was thinking about getting somebody to powder coat incase my rattle can doesnt come out well - but that feels like cheating - sort of would like to have a go at doing the bike myself

Any other general tips or advice for someone who has never done this would be appreciated

The most efficient way to remove the factory finish is to take the disassembled bike to a media blaster. Around here a frame and forks cost around $25 to take it to bare metal.

I recommend powder coating over rattle bombing the bike if you want a durable finish. You can yet a good paint job from a rattle can, but it can be very labor intensive and it will still get scratched the first time it falls over. Powder ain't cheatin' in my eyes. It is an investment in your custom bike.

Latest posts

Back