Beach cruiser to BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love cruising this thing,
fast smooth cruiser.
IMG_20230305_230125_252.jpg
20230109_150128.jpg
20221118_092320.jpg
20221118_092222.jpg
20221118_092205.jpg
20221106_165203.jpg
IMG_20221101_172159_904.jpg
20221030_161720.jpg
20220506_161843.jpg
received_3112830012305160.jpeg

Hey Everyone! Nice ride GTHOtrod! New to the forum, and to doing a conversion like this.. I’ve been searching online for a couple of days now, and although I’ve learned a lot, I still not sure exactly what I’ll need. This post is the closest thing I’ve found by far! Could someone help me figure out the specs for converting a huffy cranbrook stock 1-piece to a bmx style 3-piece? In particular the shell size, shaft length. Most of the sites I’ve found with specifications are still pretty vague, (though I’m sure this is at least in part due to different specs for diff. years, and a bit of good old fashioned ignorance).. It doesn’t have to be anything super nice, but I’d like to get rid of the coaster brakes and upgrade to a sportier look/feel. I found an Alta conversion kit on amazon with BB conversion, and Chain set in one kit on Amazon but I’m not sure it will fit (link below). Is anyone familiar, or able to point to me in the right direction?

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Chromol...7V3S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hey Everyone! Nice ride GTHOtrod! New to the forum, and to doing a conversion like this.. I’ve been searching online for a couple of days now, and although I’ve learned a lot, I still not sure exactly what I’ll need. This post is the closest thing I’ve found by far! Could someone help me figure out the specs for converting a huffy cranbrook stock 1-piece to a bmx style 3-piece? In particular the shell size, shaft length. Most of the sites I’ve found with specifications are still pretty vague, (though I’m sure this is at least in part due to different specs for diff. years, and a bit of good old fashioned ignorance).. It doesn’t have to be anything super nice, but I’d like to get rid of the coaster brakes and upgrade to a sportier look/feel. I found an Alta conversion kit on amazon with BB conversion, and Chain set in one kit on Amazon but I’m not sure it will fit (link below). Is anyone familiar, or able to point to me in the right direction?

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Chromol...7V3S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
That crank will work just fine

I’ve used the same one on several builds.

IMG_2138.jpeg

In fact I’m putting one in my current Cranbrook frame for the muscle build off

That crank will work just fine

I’ve used the same one on several builds.

View attachment 249564

In fact I’m putting one in my current Cranbrook frame for the muscle build off
Oh awesome! Thank you for the info. That thing looks sweet dude!

I bought this kit for my Earth cruiser, haven’t installed it yet though, and had to purchase the axle and cranks separately, haven’t installed those either😂😂
Might be an option for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134324819565?var=433778403367
Ok thanks for the help, much appreciated! I’ll check those out and I may go with that option for the sealed bearings.

Actually, one more question for you now.. there’s an option on that listing for 19mm or 22mm. What is that size difference referring to?

Actually, one more question for you now.. there’s an option on that listing for 19mm or 22mm. What is that size difference referring to?
Spindle diameter

more info here >link and probably more on topic than @GTHOtrod thread

I was lucky with this frame already having a euro bottom bracket and three peice cranks.
I'm currently going from opc to three peice redline flight cranks on my 84 Redline, I'm using a kit very much like the one Pestcontrol02 posted above.

Latest posts

Back