Bearing Cups

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that bearing cups are not removable? I tried getting the cups out last night and they wouldn't budge. It may be because they are rusted in and need a little more muscle, but wanted to check before I go banging on them. Thanks!

might do a star pattern in banging them out. hit one side, then the opposite, then one of the other sides... and so on.

Hopefully you're drifting them on the inside, not banging on the actual race area. :| I've run across a few that take a good whack with the BIG hammer. :wink: To avoid frustration and paint damage when putting them back, stick 'em in the freezer for 10-15 minutes first. :shock: No, I'm not kidding.

deorman said:
Hopefully you're drifting them on the inside, not banging on the actual race area. :| I've run across a few that take a good whack with the BIG hammer. :wink: To avoid frustration and paint damage when putting them back, stick 'em in the freezer for 10-15 minutes first. :shock: No, I'm not kidding.
that makes sense. shrink it just enough to not be too hard.

For now I'm trying to get them out any way possible. They aren't really needed anymore since I have a new BB coming. The bearings were all rusted out so I figured I'd just replace the whole bit.

I've seen some postings say that for the headset in this type of bike it's a good idea to keep the headset cups because they are a weird size? I do need a new headset since I bent the locknut when taking it off. Anyone know if this is true? I'm also not sure which size to get. Hoe do you measure the headset?

i don't know if it's true, but i have found that it is just less of a hassle to reuse the ones that came out of the frame if at all possible because the head tube is already that shape.

as long as the bearings fit in the old cups yes.

You could also heat up the bottom bracket tube or spray some penetrating lube. But I've never had a cup I couldn't remove without just hammer/mallet and a steel punch. The punches last a little longer then using a screwdriver. lol. Plus the brass punches won't damage your cups. Like these
pi_1478.jpeg

I have a cheep pair of Stanley punches that i use, they are at walmart, cheep, and long

I've worked on a few Euro road bikes that use a 1 piece crank but the BB cups thread into the frame like BB cups for a 3 piece crank but bigger.

Latest posts

Back