Beast Bike-update 11-27-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure where im goin with this one, i have a fork picked out but the steer tube is too short - hence the cut i did to the head tube of the frame. this is the second frame ive trimmed the head tube on to make a fork fit. im still tossin round ideas. i only cut the head tube yesterday cuz the weather is gettin cold here and i wanted to do it while the weather let me...good thing its been raining since yesterday night!

before...
BeastBike13.jpg

[imghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/gravityracing/BeastBike23.jpg][/img]

Re: Beast Bike

oops, hit submit instead of preview...

before...
BeastBike23.jpg

after strip down and head tube trim....

BeastBike43.jpg

BeastBike53.jpg

there was just as much head tube extending passed the top tube as is still extending past the down tube, still needs cleaned but it shoud be cool. i dont have a facing tool but what ill do is keep the bearinc cups in as even as i can, then fill it any gap with jb weld and paint over it later.

fast eddie outty

I like the look of the bike the way it is..pretty sweet.

eddie was it difficult to trim the head tube? ive been wanting to trim the head tube of my schwinn heavy duti so itll fit a new school mtb fork for the klunker build. but im afraid to do it cuz i dont wanna not cut it straight and im just plain afraid to cut up a schwinn!!! but then again, i might just grow a pair and trim the freakin thing next week so i can get things rollin for the klunker build off. good seein ya the other day at peddlers.....

Easy E

i have a table top cut off wheel so that makes it a lil easier. i cant get to all of it though cuz the cutting wheel is round and it'll start cutting the top tube before it goes all the way through the head tube. i cut from one side, turn it over and cut again, but i gotta make sure i dont cut all the way to the cut line, i leave just a little to grind off later, this gives me room for error with the cut off wheel - ya can remove material, but its a booger to try and add it! a tip...always cut off the top of the head tube. i cut off the bottom the first time i tried this and the first time the front end spun the chrome fork crown peice hit the down tube and got dented. sheeesh!!! i have an angle grinder that i take to it after the cut off wheel, then hand held metal files for finishing. in fact i got in a bit of a hurry and made a lil gouge in the top tube, no biggy, just gotta take the time to fill it later. a bansaw would be better though. ill bet if ya drew a cut line ( i use a hose clamp to draw cut lines on tubes) a machine shop would cut if for ya cheap. it'd only take em a minute on a large bansaw. kc winter is creepin up on us man, better get yer painting done soon!!
fast eddie outty

That's a good looking bike Eddie. Rack and chainguard are neat and of course that sprocket.

Warning on cutting head tubes... I've had some that the head tube is thinner where the bearing cups are than the rest of the head tube. So when you trim it you are in to thicker metal and the cups will no longer fit.

thanx for the tip! if the cups dont wanna go back in ill just file the inside of the head tube till they do! ill have to make sure i have take that measurement in the future. im planning that this bike will get a 'new' fork, no fenders ( already sold the fenders and wheels off it,) no chaing gaurd, different stem, 'new' handlebars, and ill probably do a 24" coaster brake on the back, a 24" wheel on the front, dont know if im gonna keep the rack - im not a big fan of those and i think the back side of this one is bent downward anyway, and ill eventually paint it of course. this frame is kinda 'beefy' lookin to me so i want to accent that while at the same time setting it a lil lower and giving it a lower profile. i will mocking up a different bike this weekend but im hoping to get some time for mocking up the beast bke also.
fast eddie outty

24" wheels, cleveland welding fork, i like the bars but ill take all the stuff off of 'em, and i dont like the stem so ill get one w/ a lower profile. not sure about the seat. the rear wheel is a 3 speed freewheel so if i wanna do the bike like this ill have to buy and mount brake adaptors.

BeastBike63.jpg

BeastBike73.jpg

eddie that fork looks sweet on that bike. it looks like the one the flying dingo had for sale?? i look forward to seeing where this build goes!!

Easy E

Looks good. The 24" wheels give it an illusion of the frame is stretch. The handbar/stem works well with the fork. Flowing.

i still think the stem sits too high but it wont go down into the steer tube any further...so im gonna cut it next chance i get. i like low profiles! i think ive decided on a color scheme, im thinking a brown and cream color combo would look pretty cool, ive never done it before so we'll see! im still toying w/ some different ideas in mock up, not sure if it'll get a rack or not but i think i do have a seat for it. mock up is the easy part, it will take FOREVER to get all this sanded and prepped for paint! thanx for the positive comments so far guys,
fast eddie

Before you cut it down double check to see if there is an old stem wedge stuck in the bottom of the fork tube. I have found that can be the case from time to time.

rustymotors said:
Before you cut it down double check to see if there is an old stem wedge stuck in the bottom of the fork tube. I have found that can be the case from time to time.

That has happened to me too.Two of my last Three.

i cut the stem on this thing finally. the handlebars now sit several inches lower than when i first got the bike cuz it's got smaller wheels and a different stem. i cut one inch off the stem, not a huge difference, but it was necessary, im sure y'all understand! i couldnt cut it all the way through w/ the cut off wheel cuz of the top of the stem, so i started the cut as far through as i could, then haksawed the rest using the cut i started on the wheel as a guide. a bit of filing, reinstall, and i dig it! its got a differenct seat and seat post also, but i forgot to photo it, i made a few minor mods to put the seat back a tad further so my knees would clear the handlbars when i turned.

marked the cut
BeastBike103.jpg

started the cut
BeastBike113.jpg

finished the cut
BeastBike123.jpg

filed and inspected the cut
BeastBike133.jpg

i saw the cut that i had made and i said "it is good" then i rested
BeastBike143.jpg

fast eddie

Back