BO15 'Beatnik Bombita'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody,

Sorry for the lengthy description but I really want everyone to understand what we're planning here.
I've built custom motorcycles and cars but this is my 1st attempt at designing and building a custom bicycle.
I'm pretty excited about it and glad that this Build Off exists. ;^)
My goal is to work with as many expert artisans as possible to bring together a mashup of talent and creativity.
The design will be a concoction of components that ultimately create a Tribute to Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth.
The inspiration for the overall design is Big Daddy's wild and crazy custom car the Beatnik Bandit.
Currently I have only a raw frame to start with but it comes from an important contributor to the S. CA custom scene.
The frame design is called a Bombita frame and was built by Art Ramirez aka Skrap Father bikes.
Here is an interesting article about Art and the work he does:
ABOUT Art Ramirez aka Skrap Father
Combine the Ed Roth custom car name of Beatnik Bandit with SkrapFather's frame name of Bombita and you get the name of my project 'Beatnik Bombita'
I'm hopeful that the collective artistic creativity of all the project providers will produce a finished product worthy of being a true TRIBUTE to one of the greatest creative geniuses and way-out thinkers of his time... Ed Roth.
Thanks for reading and following along as we take this project from concept to cruising the boardwalk in S. CA!

George Dellinger
Way Out Wheels

Way-Out Definition:
adjective (formal)
regarded as extremely unconventional, unusual, or avant-garde.
"teachers were accused of espousing way-out ideologies and teaching methods"

Attachments

• BOMBITA RAW -1.jpg
    BOMBITA RAW -1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 245
  • BOMBITA RAW -2.jpg
    BOMBITA RAW -2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Ed-roth-beatnik-bandit.jpg
    Ed-roth-beatnik-bandit.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 198
Hey George. Welcome to RRB and the craziness of the Build Off. It's cool to see more parts in the build off that were won on Billy Bueno's Random Drawings FB page (@BillyZ ). That frame is killer.
Are you planning on any sort of bubble top? That would be appropriate for social distancing :D .

Hey George. Welcome to RRB and the craziness of the Build Off. It's cool to see more parts in the build off that were won on Billy Bueno's Random Drawings FB page (@BillyZ ). That frame is killer.
Are you planning on any sort of bubble top? That would be appropriate for social distancing :D .
Hahaha... bubble top on a bicycle how absurd! Oh but is it? Only the Shadow knows! ;^)

Welcome to the best vintage custom rat rod bike site on the internets! Ed Roth you say?
You're in like Flint!
One photo posting hint, after you upload your photos, hit the Full Image tab to make them post in full size so we don't have to click on the thumbnail to increase it.
BOMBITA RAW -1.jpg

RaT oN~!

Hi and cheers from Poland .
For beginning I would say that this project rather brake a bubble of this isolation and unite with nice piece of art work :cool:
Adrian, I'm so happy that you are a contributing team member and am excited to receive those beautiful forks you are forging!
They will be a very crucial component of this project. ;^)

Welcome on board! Good luck with this ambitious build of yours ;)
Hi and cheers from Poland .
For beginning I would say that this project rather brake a bubble of this isolation and unite with nice piece of art work :cool:
Welcome to you too, Adrian! Glad you have joined our cozy place :)

Hey Guys,
Sooooo, this COVID crap is sure slowing up the distribution channels for parts!
Can't wait until this stuff is behind us and things are back to normal, I'm sick of this 'New Norm'...

I received the beachin' (yeah I said it although just a tad bit differently to avoid censorship), custom bars from Anthony Hobbs aka Flying Machine Bike Co.
Flying Machine Bike Co. - Instagram
We discussed form and dimensions and came up with these built to order bars that are Freakin' Awesome! Hope you guys like them as much as I do. Anthony usually assigns a nickname to his designs and we slightly modified the name so this won't get my post booted as I realize this is a Family Friendly site but I think the name is perfect... "Sexy Beaches"! Hahaha

So these photos have only 2 of the actual parts that I'll be using in the build... the Art Ramirez frame and Anthony Hobbs' bars. The rest is just 'stuff' to assist in mocking up the build...
That said, the rear wheel at 26" is the correct diameter but not width, hub etc. Front is way off as I want a 29" up there.
RRBBO POST 2A.jpg
RRBBO POST 2B.jpg
RRBBO POST 2C.jpg

Hmmm, I'm kinda liking the grips too even if they're stock parts... what do you think?

Have a GREAT weekend!
I'm off to the garage to work on bikes.

Last edited:
Anthony does killer work.
As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that your Bombita frame passed through his hands as well. He did some cool mods to it that make it unique to other Scrapfather Bombitas.

Anthony does killer work.
As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that your Bombita frame passed through his hands as well. He did some cool mods to it that make it unique to other Scrapfather Bombitas.
You're correct. He added the lower down tube and filled in tank area.
It is truly a unique piece of bike history. ;^)

Any updates on this angular animal?
Hey Odd Job,
Lots going on in the SkunkWerkes garage hahaha
I've been mocking up components that will be made from fiberglass like the faux tank, fenders, saddle bags and chain guard. Additionally, I've been working on the Ed Rothesque dual headlight assembly using a 1958 Chevy Bel Air Biscayne tail light housing as a base for the design. Nothing finished yet and figured I'd post as a component was finished showing the process steps with the finished part.

I can't wait to see the headlight, 58's had great bezels!
Yes they did! Nothing like solid steel with lots of chrome!
Next you replace the red lenses with clear backup lenses and it changes the entire look too. Hmmm what if we installed dual LED Angel Eyes HALO Ring Fire Wheel with Bixenon Projector Lens?
Off to the lab to work on the Beatnik Bombita and breathe some life into her.

Hi Everyone,
I'm working away on the custom headlight and pedals and finding that I'm having trouble finding a rear hoop the size that I need for this build. Anyone know where I can find a 36 spoke 26x5 hoop?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi Everyone,
I'm working away on the custom headlight and pedals and finding that I'm having trouble finding a rear hoop the size that I need for this build. Anyone know where I can find a 36 spoke 26x5 hoop?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Don't just talk about what you are working on, show us some pics so that we can be part of the fun!!! That is what the build off is about, showing your progress and work with fellow builders.

In regards to the mega hoop, try checking with @ind-chuckz or Warren Wong? I know that Jimmy Peek did a 5" fatty, but they aren't very common.

Don't just talk about what you are working on, show us some pics so that we can be part of the fun!!! That is what the build off is about, showing your progress and work with fellow builders.

OK, I've been waiting to get something a bit more completed as I have 2 or 3 items going and nothing finished... Sooooo here are a few lighting progress pics and notes. In 1961 Beatnik Bandit fashion I wanted to have a dual headlight setup. I found a 1958 Chevy Bel Air Biscayne tail light bezel that I'm modifying along with some 1958 Chevy parking lenses to make a headlight. Had to downsize the outside diameter of the clear lenses and also flatten the mounting surface as they were slightly different from the Bel Air style. Also purchased some cool Bi-Xenon LED Halo lights to fit into each side. Haven't decided on which color yet... Red or Yellow. They will have alternating flashing side to side along with HI & LO settings with a bright center light to serve as headlight and strobe. For the housing fabrication I started out with some 8/4 poplar wood that was laying around the garage. Going to shape it to match the outside of the chrome housing going back in a teardrop shape to a point. I'll match the ridge that is in the original '58 taillight housing on both sides. Next photos will be the actual shaped housing buck for the mold and doing the fiberglass work.
OK, so much for documentation... time to get out in the garage and get some real work done.
Have a GREAT weekend everyone!
Headlight New Lenses 1.jpg
Headlight New Lenses 2.jpg
Headlight Lens BiXenon 1.jpg
Headlight Lens BiXenon 2.jpg

Headlight - 1958 Chevrolet Belair  Biscayne.jpeg
Headlight Disassembly.jpg
Headlight Inside.jpg
Headlight Lens Mod.jpg
HEADLIGHT HOUSING 2.jpg
HEADLIGHT HOUSING 1.jpg

Latest posts