Beehive springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm ratrodding a schwinn tandem that has wound up with a "beehive" springer from an old JC Higgins bike. I've never dealt with that type of springer.

With the added weight of two riders, (300lbs) will it be overtaxed? Is there an adjustment to firm it up?

I've got a JC Higgin's Jet Flow with a beehive springer. I'm 240 pounds and the springer works fine. The only way it would bottom out would be if I was riding down a very steep hill, moving very fast, and then hit a bump unexpectedly.

I don't know tightening any of the bolts on the lower front fork assembly would make any difference because it's worked well enough I haven't had any need to mess with it. Unfortunately I'm moving halfway across the country next week and I've already packed my tools, otherwise I'd wrench it up and tell you what happens.

50's era Higgins were built like tanks, and so were the beehive springers. For a tandem ride in what I imagine would be a casual setting and leisurely pace on smooth terrain, it should work fine.

GodHatesCleveland said:
I've got a JC Higgin's Jet Flow with a beehive springer. I'm 240 pounds and the springer works fine. The only way it would bottom out would be if I was riding down a very steep hill, moving very fast, and then hit a bump unexpectedly.

I don't know tightening any of the bolts on the lower front fork assembly would make any difference because it's worked well enough I haven't had any need to mess with it. Unfortunately I'm moving halfway across the country next week and I've already packed my tools, otherwise I'd wrench it up and tell you what happens.

50's era Higgins were built like tanks, and so were the beehive springers. For a tandem ride in what I imagine would be a casual setting and leisurely pace on smooth terrain, it should work fine.
Where ya moving ?

Gold Street Customs said:
GodHatesCleveland said:

Where ya moving ?

And will you change your username?

The bottom part of those springers is very similar to the rattrap style I use on my spaceliners, and from my experience, tightening up the bolts down low make it work stiffer. meaning once it compresses, it may not raise back up to full height. So I wouldn't tighten it up. Just my opinion.

Back