Bending a sunlite sissy bar at the bottom?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone bent a sissy bar at the bottom backwards like a reverse "L" to look like tailpipes? If so how did you do it. I have a 36 inch one and instead of cutting it off at the bottom I was thinking of bending both sides. I did not want to mess up the them up to much either. Thanks

I would think that you need a mandrel bender to reshape your sissy bar. That is how they bend exhaust pipes without collapsing them. However, I have never tried it.

Don't listen to them(No disrespect intended. It's just being made more complicated than need be). You don't need a bender other than your hands! I did this one in the late 80's(just for proof, a picture!):
IMG_0187.jpg

Just mount it on a bike, grab the 2 ends and bend them as close to the mounting clamps(the bracket that is on one side of that sissy bar)as you can. Just pull them up to where you want them. It helps to have someone hold a level on them so they come out the same but you can do it by yourself if need be. They're only 1/2" tubing so its really easy to move them :wink:
Hope that helps.

When bending tubing, if you can find a large spring that just fits over the tube you can bend it however you want without kinking it. Gary

Latest posts

Back