Bending handlebars tricks and tips using the wrong tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys bend tubing without the proper tools? I want to flatten out these bars so they have no rise. But they are pre war torringtons so I'd like to do a decent job and not end up bulging and denting the metal.
I have pipes, a torch, cheap pipe bender and a vice. I'm thinking some of you have interesting ways of making a jig, some kind of contraption, or technique to make a nice smooth bend. I could just try jumping on them, or gently persuading them with a cinderblock but I'm gonna try to challenge myself on this one.
P1010471.jpg

Could you just use conduit and a pipebander to just make a pair like you desire? Then cut them in half and find an old set of bars to get the gooseneck strip off of and weld it into the new bars.

Hah, a pick up truck isn't in my tool arsenal. But that is definitely thinking outside the box. Thanks for the other replies too guys. I've tried the sand method on homemade truss bars. But I think I used sand that wasn't fine enough, cuz it didn't help much.
The reason I'm doing this is because with the bend, there isn't enough room for the brake lever. Essentially I want to flatten them and and then bend it again, a little further down the bar. Making the flat grip section longer. Half moon bars are cool, but there isn't much room for a brake they always seem to pull back too far and bang your knees.
As always thanks for the responses.
harlem.gif

you could weld or braze on about a 1/2 inch of tubing to make it work without bending anything, keeping the rusty patina. :wink:

Latest posts

Back