Bent wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ever unspoke a wheel and it looks like a taco? Bummer? Let the new spokes straighten it up or should it get put back into shape first? Ever had this issue?

Generally, I would say the rim is wasted. If it can not be replaced(old, rare,etc), be sure to use new spokes. The old spokes probably had lots of strain on them.

Ya they are pe war I would like to save them! There not as bad as I explained! I think they were bent the way they are with the old spokes! Where is the best place to buy new spokes?

Steel wheels, yes, alloy, no. I say a U Tube vid on how its done. find a round hole, like a man hole without the cover and re-bend to straight. Well I un-spoked a steel wheel, the bugger was about 2 inches towards taco. I took several 1x4 boards, placed under each side of the rim (parallel) and bent the taco back out. Took several tries, don't go overboard and do one massive bend, go lightly and little by little. Eventually it got back to true, I did the un-sientific measurement by placing the rim on the driveway, turning 90* just to make sure the concrete is flat and so was the rim. On a 26, 26 1 3/8 and a 27 1 1/4 steel rims, each came back to at least 1/8 inch true. Re-laced and I'm happy. Now on a old vintage rim, who knows how rusted or thin, it might work and it might not.

On alloy, once bent they are bowed, cracked and just warped if the taco is real bad. Its like the alloy has a memory in the metal and it just wont go back to true.

If I had light right now I'd go take some pic's, but its dark and cold right now.

Cheap Spokes? E-bay, other wheels, your friends wheels, haha. The LBS are $1.50 each, ouch, E Bay, low as .50c each, the local bike Co op here is .10c each

Man, I know how to lace up wheels and many times I'll pass and try to find another wheel. As someone else mentioned, spokes can go from .50 to $1.50 per. Normal set of wheels, you are looking at $72 (36X2) just for spokes.

Crazy...I'm going to have to dive in and get new spokes and try my hand...I have a lot of cool pre war rims I want to find use for...all of them have a little wave to em! Terry I'm going to pm you for some guidance! Thanks man!

Latest posts

Back