Bicentennial tribute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this Schwinn from a now deceased Hot Rod friend. It’s been hanging in the back of my shop for 10 years or so.
I recently built up an old 24” Schwinn that was in my Grandpa’s shed as a tribute to the bike I had as a child 40 years ago.
I’ve caught the bug again and am having a blast doing it. I like the instant satisfaction as I usually build hot rods.
I believe this to be a ‘57 with an earlier chain guard and a repaint at some time in its past.

The plan is to build a tribute to the Bicentennial Stingrays.
906EB157-4BDF-4293-8F97-824F120C17C6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased this Schwinn from a now deceased Hot Rod friend. It’s been hanging in the back of my shop for 10 years or so.
I recently built up an old 24” Schwinn that was in my Grandpa’s shed as a tribute to the bike I had as a child 40 years ago.
I’ve caught the bug again and am having a blast doing it. I like the instant satisfaction as I usually build hot rods.
I believe this to be a ‘57 with an earlier chain guard and a repaint at some time in its past.

The plan is to build a tribute to the Bicentennial Stingrays.View attachment 229950
Excited to see this one in progress! I attempted to do the same with last years bike build off. Mine was more of a pig bike with stingray-ish stylings. This is a 59’
IMG_1172.jpeg

Love those swept apes. I remember when everything was red white and blue bicentennial, especially bikes. This should be fun.

For inspiration or ideas. My 2020 RRBBO. (with my 2019 RRBBO Undeniably Irish). Both are 24" wheels on 26" frames.

IMO, Schwinn blew it by not offering the Bicenntenial option in more models. Sting Ray & Varsity weren't enough. Why not a Paramount or Super Sport or tandems, etc. I hope the owners of Schwinn will issue some better models in 2026 for USA's semiquincentennial (1/2 500) or sestercentennials (2.5 x 100s) or bicenquinquagenary (20 x 500, that's just wrong Princeton) or what ever term becomes popular.

my 2020 build thread here:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/a-missing-schwinn.111039/

I knew I wanted the fat and skinny look. My bike would definitely need to have the correct stance. I bought a 24x2.125 coaster brake wheel from Modern Bike and a Jerald Sulky slick. The front I found a 24x1 1/4 NOS Femco front wheel and outfitted it with a new tire.
2719E06E-47BA-40C2-8EE3-B1F322FBB21E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been fixing photos as you go full image is much easier to view here's how
before you post photos, click on them and you will see a tab that says full size photo. Click that when you add pics. Otherwise it makes it harder for us to see your photos because they appear as tiny thumbnail pics
He explained it so well

The plan is to build a tribute to the Bicentennial Stingrays.View attachment 229950
Everyone needs a red, white and blue bike!

Latest posts

Back