Bicycling is dangerous enough...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJK

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its dangerous enough without people like this.
Please be safe:

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4186220&page=1

TUCSON, Ariz. — A judge sentenced a woman to nearly the maximum prison term for negligent homicide after hearing a recorded jail conversation in which she made light of the bicyclist she killed.

Melissa Arrington, 27, was convicted two months ago of negligent homicide and two counts of aggravated DUI in connection with the December 2006 death of Paul L'Ecuyer.

She could have gotten as few as four years behind bars, but Superior Court Judge Michael Cruikshank sentenced her Tuesday to 10 1/2 years — one year shy of the maximum.

Cruikshank said he found a telephone conversation between Arrington and an unknown male friend, a week after L'Ecuyer was killed, to be "breathtaking in its inhumanity."

During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken out" a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot."

Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing to say, she responded, "No, it's not."

Assistant Public Defender Michael Rosenbluth told the judge his client has never been "cold, callous or flippant" about L'Ecuyer's death and has always felt remorseful.

Arrington said words couldn't express how she feels, and that once she's out of prison, she hopes to share her story with Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

L'Ecuyer, 45, was riding his bike the night of Dec. 1, 2006 when Arrington swerved off the road, hit him and then continued for 800 feet before stopping, according to Deputy Pima County Attorney Jonathan Mosher.

Arrington's blood-alcohol content was .156 percent, nearly double Arizona's .08 legal limit. She had been driving on a suspended license for a prior DUI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish no ill will for this woman.
Its just sad that she could say these things about another human.

If someone would have run over one of my family members while they were drunk,I would think that 10 years is not enough.Did she not know she had to drive home? Same as planing & commiting a murder. The part on the phone does not suprise me a bit.I see people treat each other like that all the time.Real sad.

if she kiled someone i personaly think that should be the death penalty
and if not that
at least a life sentence

If someone gets into a car drunk they know they may kill someone so it's not manslaughter it's murder. In a few years she'll be out to possibly kill again. She should have got life without parole.

A drunk driver killed my dog a few weeks ago. Cops did NOTHING about it. Just made him go home. So it is now very hard for him to drive drunk, because his car no longer has any wheels. I let him know they are in my gargage, and he is welcome to come and get them, whenever he feels fit. He has not taken me up on the invitation. However though, I have seen him riding his bike past the house, and being that all last week was around 0 out, I like to think that it was a sobering experience for him. Please don't think that I condone taking the law into your own hands, but where I live its like having the Hazzard County Police force, so we are really left with no choice.

NICE!!!!
Oh wow.. that's creative..
Im sorry to hear about your dog.
Most people would have slashed the tires.. but just taking them is much more interesting!
And.. maybey he'll sober up.. and become a cyclist!
-tjk

I am actually pretty proud of myself for being able to think, my pets are like my children, and I took it pretty hard to have to bury my best friend.

i no the hazzard county feeling
where i live we are outta everyones jurisdiction so it takes bout hour and a half tweo hours for a cop to show so usually you take matters into your own hands
which i might add is fine with me

Back