Bike Magazine?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I counted 18 different mags at Barnes & Noble the other day and nothing was remotely interesting... Are there any bike magazines that cater to Ratrod bikes? I've seen Lowrider Bike in the past as an offshoot from Lowrider (cars) but I think they're gone now too. I didn't even see anything about classic bikes let alone cruisers... Anybody know of a good bike rag?

Carl.

Kickstand Magazine made a pretty good stab at it, but failed, holding the bag for everyone here who subscribed. do a search and you will find a lot of drama and justified criticiism of how the owner mishandled the whole thing. To answer your question, I don't know of one!

I think, with a little bit of coordination, we could turn RRB-content into an awesome e-Zine. We have a lot of content, a lot of talent, and a lot of passion here. With a smidge of organization, and some begging for key members to do some features, I bet we could hammer out a bangin' quarterly e-Zine.

I've considered the E-Zine concept in the past.

As a professional designer I'm familiar with the amount of time and effort it takes to produce a solid, reliable publication and it can be a monumental undertaking. This is why blogs are so popular these days. :21:

The hardest part would be gathering content, organizing things and editing it all. Designing isn't too bad as long as you set up a decent template that you can follow for each issue.

The killer is usually trying to stay on a schedule....especially when you're doing it on the side with volunteer help.

One old thread with drama from 2012-2013: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/kickstand-magazine-update.56603/

My Googling ALSO uncovered this: http://kickstandmag.com/

"2014 REBOOT" and "As part of the relaunch, our distribution
network in Colorado will grow exponentially..."

Seems to be the same guys in their quest to be "THE OWNER'S MANUAL FOR A FREEWHEELING LIFE," a phrase I found in both of the threads I linked.

I wonder if any of the proposed 2014 issues were ever published. My guess is that they can be expected sometime in 2016. :p
http://www.kickstandmag.com/2014editorial.pdf

One old thread with drama from 2012-2013: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/kickstand-magazine-update.56603/

My Googling ALSO uncovered this: http://kickstandmag.com/

"2014 REBOOT" and "As part of the relaunch, our distribution
network in Colorado will grow exponentially..."

Seems to be the same guys in their quest to be "THE OWNER'S MANUAL FOR A FREEWHEELING LIFE," a phrase I found in both of the threads I linked.
According to this: http://www.kickstandmag.com/2014editorial.pdf

Issue 11 and 12 should already be out... :(

Luke.

Edit: Kingfish and I must have been looking at the same page, but he beat me to it by 2 minutes... :21:

I've considered the E-Zine concept in the past.

As a professional designer I'm familiar with the amount of time and effort it takes to produce a solid, reliable publication and it can be a monumental undertaking. This is why blogs are so popular these days. :21:

The hardest part would be gathering content, organizing things and editing it all. Designing isn't too bad as long as you set up a decent template that you can follow for each issue...
Hey Rat Rod,
I would think a decently produced e-zine could support itself at least financially through subscriptions and advertising... Is that enough to back a small staff? I don't know. There is obviously a nitch that's not covered in print... and as you stated it's a lot of work and for a professionally looking e-zine it's almost as much work as a print magazine.

I don't know how well a straight up "Rat zine" would survive under to pay subscription either (I know, I know... "You evil blasphemer!"), you'd almost have to open it to Classic, Vintage, Rat, and Custom. That I think would have a better chance of survival since none of the genres are covered in print, and of course the involvement level has just grown three fold.

Well look at it this way...
You put it together, get a 500,000+ membership and Rodale Press buys you out, adds it to their bicycle magazine publications because it's a nitch that nobody else is publishing...
We get a magazine and you get to go Porsche shopping:rofl:

I don't know how well a straight up "Rat zine" would survive under to pay subscription either (I know, I know... "You evil blasphemer!"), you'd almost have to open it to Classic, Vintage, Rat, and Custom. That I think would have a better chance of survival since none of the genres are covered in print, and of course the involvement level has just grown three fold.
:rofl:

Yeah, we all know the RatFolk are cheapskates, but I think that opening up content to other "counter-culture"* bike subgenre would improve its potential market appeal, plus it could possibly help other cycle enthusiasts take another look at Rats, or at least, cruisers. There's a lack of respect for bikes that came in 1 size only, with balloon tires and American BB shells, but I think that lack of respect comes from a lack of understanding, plus an disproportionate amount of attention being offered to only the most extreme Rats/customized cruisers, which are bound to have a vey narrow appeal.

I think, TBH, that those of us who love RRB should at least try to brainstorm about ideas to make an e-Zine a reality. If we pool our talents, come up with a plan, and get enough folks to collaborate, I think putting out a modestly sized but well-executed quarterly is totally possible, with Steve's permission, of course.....

*I'm embarrassed to use the word "counterculture" here, but it fits, and I'm trying to take an unflinching look at this....

Hey, call it what it is! "Rat", Rockers/Mods, even those weirdo's that dress up in furry animal costumes and wife swap... It's not mainstream it's a subculture. I mean we all have an appreciation for all the true rat rides that get posted here, but I would be willing to bet that most aren't completely immersed in the whole "Rat" culture.
With out a doubt though it is a genre that would garner more appreciation in a wide reaching e-zine or print media. Maybe we all need to start wearing flame, checkered flag, or rat style pin striped spandex shorts... seems to work for getting all those snooty road bike magazines printed!
BTW, sorry for grouping the "Rat" culture in with those "Furry Freaks", just don't get near enough opportunity to mention them in day to day conversation!

IMG_0317-300x288.jpg

We welcome furry freak bikes too. Here is @dangratsdan 's Fat Rat from BO6
xmas10004-1.jpg

LMFAO!!!
Blue one looks like somebody skinned a SMURF!
And I'd love to crash a PETA party on that raccoon bike!
Saw a shirt here on the beach about a week ago,
I support PETA... People Eating Tasty Animals

I have to make one of those raccoon bikes with one of my neighbors noisy poodles:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back