Bike Rack Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tossing the road bike into the back of the SUV over the past year, I am looking to invest into a bike rack. I am preferring to get a hitch mounted rack. I prefer to not take the rack on and off all the time.
I am not too worried about how many bikes to carry.

90% of the time it's just me, 10% carpooling with another rider. Thus a 2 station rack will be more than fine.

However, I am looking for something that is convenient to use when the rack is on the back of the SUV while running errands (make way for the Costco run).

With all the brands and features out there, I am looking for feedback on how the bike is with the rack (movement, locking), how easy the rack is to live when not hauling bikes and how is it to put on and take off the car.

Any thoughts, suggestions and advice with
index.jpg
will be greatly appreciated.

Yakima's racks have always been great. The hitch racks have the ability to "break" at the kitch point so you can get in and out of the back of your rig. You will spend a little more than buying the Allen one at Walmart, but you get a far superior product. I have a roof rack myself but a good friend of mine whom I recently got into cycling has the hitch version on his Tahoe. He and his wife are pretty out of shape and can toss that thing around like its nothing. And besides that, all Yakima hitch racks have a built in bottle opener :D

I'd think that a roof mount is easier to deal with if you're going to leave it on all the time. A hitch mount would have to be pivoted out of the way every time you want to open the hatch. Also, even if it folds up, a hitch mount is still subject to damage in parking lots or just getting walked into. OTOH, getting bikes onto the roof of an SUV is no simple thing either. However, I've had both types on my SUV and found the roof mount just generally more convenient. I never liked the way that the hitch mount allowed the bikes to bounce and swing, I always though the roof carriers were a lot more secure. I just keep a small folding step ladder in the back to get up to them...

P1012779.jpg

P1012781.jpg

I'm bringing this post back from the dead because I have a different question: I have a Rat Fink.. And I'm wondering if a Yakima SprocketRocket bike tray will be long enough to hold it? I know it accomodates wide wheels and tires.. But I'm not sure how long it is. Does anyone use this setup?

Thanks in Advance
DeV

Latest posts

Back