Bikes I likes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you’ll like this one.
75E0B69D-2C9C-44FD-90E6-4732E9A2561E.jpeg

What the actual heck?! That is amazing and complex. From my bad translations, that is an award winning design for two speed drivetrain, perhaps kickback (retropedelage). Was tested in a mountain section of the Pyrenees, and is in unrestored condition. Incredible bike. The big skiptooth ring is really pretty too

What the actual heck?! That is amazing and complex. From my bad translations, that is an award winning design for two speed drivetrain, perhaps kickback (retropedelage). Was tested in a mountain section of the Pyrenees, and is in unrestored condition. Incredible bike. The big skiptooth ring is really pretty too
The pics made my head hurt for a few minutes. But after reading the text (understanding it better than I expected to, not having used my French lessons for anything since high school), and looking a bit closer, I think I get it. And it's a pretty cool (and very French) design.
Rétropédalage should mean back-pedalling. And each side must have a freewheel. So when you pedal backwards the small gear on the right side engages the large one, making the wheel spin forwards at a different ratio than the left side drive train, which is freewheeling.

As you are talking about the bikes you like,
just want to add that I like the line drawing and detail bike.
Anyone wanna build me a chromo one? Maybe disk brakes?

View attachment 151680
So much can be seen and understood from such a simple drawing.
Also,anything that can be thought up can be shared with not much money spent.
Probably cheaper to go full custom than building the OG(ary Fisher) version!

Chronologically Production-Wise, I'd say #2 in that realm to the Surly Karate Monkey.
I think the 2008-2010 SE Stout beat them all to the game... [I stand corrected, a google search returned a 2007 Surly Karate Monkey]
I have one of these, but I've big-bike bmx'd it since it was single speed 29. It even has disc brake mounts and 135mm drops outs in the rear to add derailleur and discs

Attachments

• 2009Stout.jpg
    2009Stout.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211030_135021883.jpg
    IMG_20211030_135021883.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think the 2008-2010 SE Stout beat them all to the game... [I stand corrected, a google search returned a 2007 Surly Karate Monkey]
I have one of these, but I've big-bike bmx'd it since it was single speed 29. It even has disc brake mounts and 135mm drops outs in the rear to add derailleur and discs
Anthony was riding a Karate Monkey on this ride in 2003 and IIRC he'd had it at least a year prior: http://www.anthonysloan.com/Searle_Pass.html

Rest Easy, Anthony...

Latest posts

Back