bikes will be on the back burner while I build my 59 VW !!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to find a pre 1968 VW bus for over 20 years and today I finally drug one home!!!!! :D I know everyone hopes to find the 21,23 window but unless you have thousands good luck.I found this one 7 years ago and tried leaving my phone # once a month for 5 years with not so much as a leave me alone or its not for sale...Then two years ago I cruise by and the whole lot was cleared,about 15 cars in total just gone,I was heart broke.Then a friend of mine wanted help with some welding on his 1957 Oval bug and I had been laggin to get over and help.Well he finally tells me this bug is consuming him so he has to sell his bus...So now you have my attention,He was the guy who bought the whole lot and had the Bus I was trying to buy forever,,,We worked out a deal and now I am the proud owner of a 1959 11 window bus :D 8) I will be workin on this alot so I may not build many bikes for a bit
IMG_20120816_164322.jpg
IMG_20120816_165845.jpg
IMG_20120816_165335.jpg
IMG_20120816_165407.jpg

Re: I think the bikes will be on the back burner for a while!!!

Oh you lucky dog! I can't wait for the day I can say I found mine. I want to find a truck though.

Good luck with her! And keep us posted with your progress, looks great!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Wow, I'm jealous. Good luck with that sweet bus, bring it back to life. It deserves it.

So you build the coolest scooter ever and now this? :lol: :lol:
Congrats my friend, that bus looks very complete, can´t wait to see what you do with it, I´m sure greatness is reserved for it.
But tell us more, what are you plans for it... adding more windows, chop :?:
So, I´m giving for granted that you will keep a build thread, I sure don´t wanna miss it! :wink:

Whats up with every foaming at the mouth with these things, yes they're neat, but i'd personally rather have like a 58' impala or something

so can't you cut 10 more holes in it and make it a 21 window? Just kidding. Have fun with your new project.

The first vehicle I rode in was the family 59 VW Microbus. We had it until 1965 until Dad traded it in on a 63 Ford Econoline Falcon van, the kind with the cateyes for headlights. The VW was the coolest, but needed more power. 35hp with a 4800rpm governor made top speed just under 50mph. We actually pulled a pop up camper behind it. It was two tone, red and brown.

custombikebuilder said:
Whats up with every foaming at the mouth with these things, yes they're neat, but i'd personally rather have like a 58' impala or something
custombikebuilder said:

Go for it custombikebuilder!
Call me nuts but I actually prefer a VW bus over ANY impala...
Leather Brooks saddle over banana seat, rust over bling... but that´s just me... :mrgreen:

Gdcast said:
Go for it custombikebuilder!
Call me nuts but I actually prefer a VW bus over ANY impala...
Leather Brooks saddle over banana seat, rust over bling... but that´s just me... :mrgreen:

I'm the exact opposite, I love ban seats, rust, and vintage cars.
Not a huge fan of volkswagons, love the muscle stuff more, if I wanted something that looked something like a VW, I'd get the dodge A-100

I'd like to find a VW fastback and paint it up in Bullet green with the old school mag wheels. I think that would be awesome. Just think what if Steve McQueen drove a VW? :mrgreen:

I'd park it right next to my other dream VW a custom built VW extended cab pickup.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
so can't you cut 10 more holes in it and make it a 21 window? Just kidding. Have fun with your new project.
My mate welded up all the windows on his 23 window, because he wanted a panel van :wink:

nice bus. what is that rod looking thing coming out of the front VW symbol?

I think that´s what is left of the typical VW antenna...
59_VW_Antenna.jpg

Thanks Fellas!! I always wanted a bus of some sort,crewcab,lots of windows or a few just a bus,the earlier the better...My plans are to make it a nice driver,update motor and trans,airride ,narrow front beam,disc brakes and paint it the OG Mango green and white two tone.For now im taking it on one foot at a time.It needs some patch panels welded in and the previous owner allready purchased and came with it.Just alot of work but it should be worth it.I know restored they are worth alot more but I want it the way I See it.Ive owned 13 bugs back in the day none of witch were left stock,first thing I would do is lower them and start shaving everything,the Cal Look!!!!I love bagged busses and now I can have my own.I have done classic muscle,rats,mini trucks,off road,Street bikes but have always had a soft spot for VW's.Pics to come soon. 8) :mrgreen:

Saw an '82 VW Rabbit Pickup truck, the coolest thing because how they lowered it and put "10's on it

custombikebuilder said:
Saw an '82 VW Rabbit Pickup truck, the coolest thing because how they lowered it and put "10's on it
I used to have one of those with a diesel and 5 speed. I loved it, fill it up on Monday and it's good for almost a month!

oh and the gas tank was an old beer keg on the bed of it, and they had a vintage cooler on it.
80k miles manual, but they wanted 3,800

Latest posts

Back