Bing Live Steam toy engine??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We got this in a while back at the model railroad store I work at....Wondering if we missed the boat on value or is everyone waiting for the end of the auction? It's a Gebruder Bing Steam engine with a dynamo, nice restorable condition and just a cool thing.

IMG_0233_zpsapmppson.jpg

Any of you guys into this stuff?

It is up on evilbay for $699 starting bid.. There's a restored one there for $2400 that looks similar.
IMG_0250_zpsroyabs2g.jpg

I've got more pics if anyone is interested in seeing more.

Last edited:
Steam powered bike....yeah I want THAT between my knees...

Carl.

Ya gotta admit, it'd be pretty exciting! (For the less adventurous, you might be able to run it with a compressed air cylinder.. Although the power output might only be good enough to run a light or two.)

What is the fuel? I need to find my dad's steam engine. It is an upright stationary that is run off electricity. Kid's would like it.

It is alcohol fueled with a little burner in the firebox that had two wicks. I didn't think an Ebay link would be allowed here but it is item number 271907876933. More modern engines don't go for a whole lot from what I've researched, and the attraction with the Bing was it displays fine German engineering from Nuremburg, Germany. This engine is from around 1917.

If you try to fire up that electrically heated steamer, please be aware if you have any loose sweated joints in the pressure lines or a non functioning pressure relief it can be very dangerous. Might want to test it from a distance without the kids present first. Many collectors simply run them on compressed air which is a bit safer than live steam.

Latest posts

Back