Black corrugated plastic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone have a lead on black corrugated plastic? The stuff that is like cardboard only made of plastic.
I want wheel covers!!!
A 4' x 4' piece would do a whole bike!

I Googled, got a bunch of hits for albada or some b.s., order 6 million pieces type stuff, no where I can get say 5 sheets.

I get it from my local hardware/building supplies shop here in Australia. Next best would be a sign printing place, they use it all the time.

It is sometimes called coreflute, that may help you find it.

Luke.

Thanks guys, coreflute!
Never thought of a lumber yard!

Used some at Denso corporation years ago, it was around 1/2" thick and real heavy guage, wishing I could get that!
I would like the sides to be flush to the rim, then wrap the edge with moulding, to give it the finished look.
My anti Moon discs!

I've been exploring some alternatives to the $300 aluminum discs, looked at the coreflute stuff, also considered making fiberglass ones. Pretty sure there is some good info out there for both kinds.

In the USA it is sold as COROPLAST... easy to get small pieces, I think 18 x 24 can be ordered by anyone from Sign Warehouse in Dennison TX in many colors, but larger and thicker is going to be a hassle to find and to ship. Might want to check with your local gas station for obsolete hanger signs as they often used pre printed signs made of the stuff in larger sizes and toss damaged or old ones...Places like 7-11 or Jiffymart usually have signs zip tied to the canopy poles advertising their gas or beer or whatever, and you can use krylon plastic paint to paint the stuff. Election signs are also made from coroplast and those dang pole hanging signs WE BUY HOUSES FOR CASH are the same stuff.

It is available in 3mm and 10 mm thickness IIRC and the heavy stuff is a bit harder to find, I have to order full sheets for my sign shop to get it , and I still have to special order it. I'm out of it right now and don't relish paying for my next large order of the stuff.

It is pretty light, and lasts a few years before the UV really starts to break it down, at least here in TX. If you cover it with sign vinyl it lasts much longer. I use it for my OVERSIZE LOAD signs and have one set that has been on the truck since 2008.

Forgot to add, the largest problem you'll have is that you may really need a cone shape and not a flat disc...not going to happen with coro. see my next post for info on how to do that....

Last edited:
Google wheel covers! I was suprised the stuff works!
Bike polo, soccer, and cool fixie guys all run them, they paint them.

I did the Google and found out it is common to do..here's one guy who does a nice job with ABS : http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...DIY_disc_wheel_cover_how-to_thread._P3552095/

Above link uses thin plastic from a plastics distributor, it looks like it does a really good job if carefully done..

Here is coro used for a polo bike application: http://www.bostonbikepolo.us/sick-wheel-coversand-how-to-make-them/

I guess the trick for a cone shape is to put a slice in the stuff on the radius...I haven't found a good glue for coro myself....but tape will work.

I was planning zip ties for a light weight corrugated plastic.
I goofed around with plastic covers in the 80s that used plastic bolts, but they were to keep pedals out. Really beefy! :)

Also, 24" x 24" would be minimal amount to do 1 side of a 700 wheel, not much less for 26"s.

Well I don't know about ya'll but that ABS disc how-to on the slowtwitch link ($30 and an Hour & half) looks pretty good to me... I can see that in a matte black with some red and white ratrod pin striping, maybe even silver with some airbrushed rusty rivits! Best part is we don't even worry about feather weight over here:rockout:

The only drawback I could see is painting ABS plastic, but there's etching primers for ABS body panels.

Latest posts

Back