BO15 Blue Dream

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My love affair with Schwinn began early in life. When my eldest sibling was given his first bike on his 8th Birthday, it was a green Schwinn Sting-Ray. My pops explained the "buy nice, or buy twice" concept to us in bicycle terms that day and that we all were getting a new color of choice Schwinn Sting-Ray on our 8th Birthdays. Mine was blue and I railed on it for a year and a half, until it was stolen at the community pool and all that was left was the cut lock. I've had many Schwinns since then and after stumbling into the world of vintage lightweights in 2007, have been dreaming of a Paramount that fits. I found a frameset that fits last year on fleabay for a song and have been collecting parts for this build. I'm keeping it Euro and mostly Italian. I still need a couple more parts, but they are minor and readily available. I'll follow up later with parts shots, but the main subject of my dream is right here:
P15.jpg

Last edited:
Classy!

Blue Dream is an obviously custom P-15 65cm x 63cm (C to C), fabbed at Pioneer Manufacturing Racine, WI in November 1972. Nervex lugs, with beautiful finish work as Don Mainland is known for. It's going to be a perfect fit, as if this frameset fell out of the sky for me. My first Schwinn was made the same year, serendipitous at the very least.

Wondering if you indeed are a bike guy?
If you can name more frame welders than Kardashians, you might be a bike guy.

Sorry for the weak post, just needed something to say so I was subscribed

Most of the parts, still in my bedroom. The Connex/Wippermann chain arrived yesterday afternoon and didn't make the pic. I also forgot to throw the stem in the pic, as it's in the "to be polished" box in the garage awaiting its turn on the wheel. All I need now are the cog, lockring, toe clips (probably going new Christophe steel), spokes (still need to calculate) and tires (Continental Ultra Sport 27 x 1 1/8, which stay put on unhooked rims).
DSCN5408.JPG

Thanks!

Gipiemme Special, 36h Track rear and QR front. Patience and fleabay Europe for both. I got lucky on the rear hub after missing one I could not afford at the time it sold.

So I'm guessing track bike will be the answer :cool2: nice!

One of the last pieces of the puzzle has been located and ordered from Germany. I was just looking for plain XL steel all this time and happened to stumble upon the perfect NOS solution. The leather guards will neatly match the saddle, bar tape and toe straps. Pic was from the sale site and yes, those are not XL. They had a few sizes.
XLChristophes.jpg

"Foot binding eventually spread to most social classes by the Qing dynasty and the practice finally came to an end in the early 20th century. Bound feet were at one time considered a status symbol as well as a mark of beauty. Yet, foot binding was a painful practice and significantly limited the mobility of practicers, resulting in lifelong disabilities for most of its subjects"
;)

And that's why they turned to the bicycle as a means for daily transportation. The bicycle, until then considered only a toy without practical purposes was suddenly everywhere. And that's why there are 1 000 000 bicycles in Beijing.

So, these cool straps attach to regular pedals? They are bolt on or how?

So, these cool straps attach to regular pedals? They are bolt on or how?
A set of pedals built-up with toe clips and straps look like this.

I ride clips and straps and straps in the dirt and on the street, with the exception of my cruiser bikes having flat pedals and my custom road bike has clipless/clip-in pedals. Not many experienced Riders ride in toe clips and straps anymore (with the exception of fixed gear cyclists, or Keirin Track Racers), especially in the dirt.

A set of pedals built-up with toe clips and straps look like this.

I ride clips and straps and straps in the dirt and on the street, with the exception of my cruiser bikes having flat pedals and my custom road bike has clipless/clip-in pedals. Not many experienced Riders ride in toe clips and straps anymore (with the exception of fixed gear cyclists, or Keirin Track Racers), especially in the dirt.

Mostly cause they switched to SPD pedals. I recently put a set of those straps on my Gravel, and it rides sweet! More speed, less pedaling effort.

Latest posts

Back