BMX BFK...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought one BFK in each color with the intention of building them into different types of bikes. I did this one with the help of a late-model Schwinn Stardust, which is a teeny little girls' BMX bike that essentially has one big oval tube between the head tube and the BB. I bought it at Goodwill for $5 because it had all these cool pieces on it that I knew I'd eventually use. On this, I used the rims and tires (which say Schwinn Scrambler on them!), the fork, the stem, and the pedals (yes i know they're really cheezy plastic). The seat and bars are off some random Huffy girls' bike. I was going for an old-school mid-70s early BMX Stingray conversion look... dunno if I hit it exactly, but I kinda like it. I was gonna wait till I painted the forks black to match, but I got impatient and now i kinda like the purple; I just have to take off the flower stickers...

bmxbfk01.jpg

bmxbfk03.jpg

bmxbfk04.jpg

and yes I know the seat is too high, I lowered it after the pics...

--rick

I guess BFK is referring to the walmart stingrays, but what does it stand for? black friday k-something? EDIT: krate?

yeah... the two names that popped up when people talked about them on the boards are Crazy 88s (they were 88 bucks when they came out on Black Friday, and Crazy 88 is a reference to the Tarantino movie Kill Bill, I think) and BFK for Black Friday Krates. Kinda goofy because they're not really Krates, but whatever...

--rick

That's sweetness right there! Put some handbrakes on that pup and let's do some endos, or even a cherry picker!

FaceOFFbikes said:
That's sweetness right there! Put some handbrakes on that pup and let's do some endos, or even a cherry picker!

'Big Air' test the quality of the BFK frame :wink: (video running)

@ ratina: Funny, I was noticing that at work today. SOmetimes the pics came up, sometimes I get red Xs. WHen I hit Refresh they came back...

@ FaceOFFbikes: thanks! I got the same comment about the handbrake on the, um, brand-specific board. I think I actually have the front brake off the donor Stardust bike... and I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. So I'm thinking that's a project for this evening...

EDIT @ RatFink and FaceOFFbikes: have you ever seen the video or the trailer for Joe Kid on a Stingray? It's a BMX history DVD. All I've seen is the trailer, and there's at least a few grainy '70s film shots of kids getting unholy big stupid air on BMX-converted Stingrays... wonder how much of that kind of treatment this frame could take... :mrgreen:

--rick

hes not jokin, i couldnt see them either then i follwed one link, then looked again and all 3 pics were up :?: now all 3 are gone again

That's cool! I'd use chrome forks if possible. BTW, did you put the springer fork on ebay? I'm watching some now.

no, actually, i'm hanging on to it for now... never know when something like that might come in handy... :mrgreen:

--rick

I have Joe Kid on a Stingray! Some of those kids were using springers and apes and the banana seats too. There was one shot of a kid racing without a seat (ouch)....crazy kids. :lol:

armandgil said:
I have Joe Kid on a Stingray! Some of those kids were using springers and apes and the banana seats too. There was one shot of a kid racing without a seat (ouch)....crazy kids. :lol:

i'm not a big enough BMX fan to buy it, but I gotta see if i can find a copy just to borrow or rent or something just for the Stingray footage. can you tell if there are off-brands too? it'd be interesting to see if kids also converted their Huffy and Columbia and whatever old banana seat bikes they had...

--rick

I forced myself to watch it again... :lol: ...and paused and rewound and squinted but couldn't tell what brands they were riding. Except for a few front angles when I could see the Schwinn head badges. :mrgreen:

Back