Bolt-on kit for V-brakes on an old cruiser frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking through the interwebs for some kind of clamp-on or bolt-on adaper piece to allow me to mount V-brakes on a the rear of a bike that doesn't have the factory welded on mounts. Everything I'm finding is no longer available.
Anybody know of something I'm missing?
Been thinking of cutting the "bridge" off of an old V-brake equipped suspension fork and seeing if I could clamp it to a cruiser frame somehow.
How well does one of those Mapp gas torches do with brazing? LOL

Kinda' want to know the bigger picture...certainly you could acquire a frame that already has brake bosses for almost nothing on Craigslist. Why this frame?

You might want to put the query out on the classic/ vintage boards on mtbr.com bikeforums.com. Some of those guys have massive collections of "spares".

best, K.

Kinda' want to know the bigger picture...certainly you could acquire a frame that already has brake bosses for almost nothing on Craigslist. Why this frame?

You might want to put the query out on the classic/ vintage boards on mtbr.com bikeforums.com. Some of those guys have massive collections of "spares".

best, K.
It's the frame I have. Trying to get deeper into the "Built not Bought" thing without buying all the tools first I guess. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This might work.
https://porkchopbmx.com/dia-compe-b...MIsem3ofKq4AIVxh6tBh1WEgTnEAkYCiABEgIKUfD_BwE

BrakeAdapter-Dia-Compe-BOOMERANG-BLACK__80614.1455045156.1280.1280.jpg

Or these:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/264085173369?chn=ps

I have brazed on a frame with mapp gas, it takes a while to heat up. You can buy braze on brake posts, you need to use your imagination and make a jig to hold them. Bicycle guru Sheldon Brown made a locating jig that bolted to the drop outs, looks pretty nice.

I have brazed on a frame with mapp gas, it takes a while to heat up. You can buy braze on brake posts, you need to use your imagination and make a jig to hold them. Bicycle guru Sheldon Brown made a locating jig that bolted to the drop outs, looks pretty nice.
Thanks!

60 bucks for the small portable gas welding kit at Menards, uses Mapp gas and Oxygen. Comes with both tanks in the small handheld size. Brazing without oxy with mapp has never worked well for me... I'll be picking up a kit myself soon.

As for the V-brakes I'd be tempted to cut sections from the chain stays of a donor frame, 2 or 3 inches above and below the mounting points, and then cut the pieces of the stays lengthwise. Resulting in some half sections of stays with the mounts, easily positioned, clamped, welded or brazed, on the seat stays of the older frame.

Carl.

As for the V-brakes I'd be tempted to cut sections from the chain stays of a donor frame, 2 or 3 inches above and below the mounting points, and then cut the pieces of the stays lengthwise. Resulting in some half sections of stays with the mounts, easily positioned, clamped, welded or brazed, on the seat stays of the older frame.

Carl.

Awesome idea! Thanks Carl.

No Menard's around here. Might have to check online.

60 bucks for the small portable gas welding kit at Menards, uses Mapp gas and Oxygen. Comes with both tanks in the small handheld size. Brazing without oxy with mapp has never worked well for me... I'll be picking up a kit myself soon.

Carl.
I think that is good advice from Carl. I have never used the little mapp/oxy set ups, looks great for the bike hobby. The mapp alone flame definitely is hot enough to braze, the problem is they don't put out enough heat. If that makes any sense. Although the flames temperature is hot enough, the bike frame is a big heat sink and sucks the heat away, the torch temp is fine it just needs more out put. So it takes a while to get an area up to temp, and that is for little brackets and clips, never actually attempted any large frame repair or mod, I think it might be to weak. I went the other way instead of the mapp/oxy mini set up I picked up a Sievert Promatic propane torch. Playing around and testing with it I think it is going to braze small brackets, clips, brake bosses, just fine. The Sievert Promatic is fairly expensive and if you don't need it for other reasons your better off with the set up Carl was talking about. Just my opinion.

Been looking through the interwebs for some kind of clamp-on or bolt-on adaper piece to allow me to mount V-brakes on a the rear of a bike that doesn't have the factory welded on mounts. Everything I'm finding is no longer available.
Anybody know of something I'm missing?
Been thinking of cutting the "bridge" off of an old V-brake equipped suspension fork and seeing if I could clamp it to a cruiser frame somehow.
How well does one of those Mapp gas torches do with brazing? LOL
https://www.porkchopbmx.com/non-returnable-evolution-v-brake-bicycle-46159865.html

I think this is what you are looking for. Bolts onto the seat stays. They are pricey. You will end up having a $100 brake set up. I did see a YouTube video of a klunker build that had some made locally. Not sure how much those were. You're better off using c brakes mounted to the fender mount bar.

Latest posts

Back