Bolt on trike kit info??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, i have recently picked up an old worksman trike that i am cleaning up for a buddy of mine that had a stroke. i got me thinking about throwing a bolt on kit on one of the 29er BMX we have laying around. i see that are a few different variations of the bolt on kit. is there a preferred one, or are they all about the same? ive seen them single speed, 7speed, 7 speed with disc brakes. hoping someone has a little info on any of those. Thanks!!

There are three main types, and a couple of variations of each. Most use a 5/8" axle, but newer ones tend toward 15mm.
Early trikes mounted both rear wheels in "fork" structures, and used a jack shaft to transfer power from the right-side chain line of the bike to a short chain on the inside of the left wheel. These used standard bicycle wheels - two fronts and one rear, usually coaster brake - and are normally found on light duty "adult" trikes from last century.
The more modern, medium duty trikes use a live axle arrangement in the rear (5/8" or 15mm) and drive one of the rear hollow-hub wheels either via a keyed hub or through a bolt-on arrangement. The axle may be driven directly from the main bike chain via an axle-mounted freewheel (necessitating a band, drum or disc to be mounted on the axle), or by using a bicycle hub as a jackshaft in between, in which case it is usually a 1 or 3 speed coaster hub with an extra cog mounted to the hub body to drive the axle via a short chain.

I think the units with the extra hub in the rear and the 15mm axles are likely strongest of the bolt-on options.

There are three main types, and a couple of variations of each. Most use a 5/8" axle, but newer ones tend toward 15mm.
Early trikes mounted both rear wheels in "fork" structures, and used a jack shaft to transfer power from the right-side chain line of the bike to a short chain on the inside of the left wheel. These used standard bicycle wheels - two fronts and one rear, usually coaster brake - and are normally found on light duty "adult" trikes from last century.
The more modern, medium duty trikes use a live axle arrangement in the rear (5/8" or 15mm) and drive one of the rear hollow-hub wheels either via a keyed hub or through a bolt-on arrangement. The axle may be driven directly from the main bike chain via an axle-mounted freewheel (necessitating a band, drum or disc to be mounted on the axle), or by using a bicycle hub as a jackshaft in between, in which case it is usually a 1 or 3 speed coaster hub with an extra cog mounted to the hub body to drive the axle via a short chain.

I think the units with the extra hub in the rear and the 15mm axles are likely strongest of the bolt-on options.
Thanks a ton man. also, any place i should look online to purchase? all i get coming up is ebay or amazon. thanks again!

Latest posts

Back