Bonefish: The Beginnings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loosen the bolt again take a chunk of 2x4 place it on top of the stem whack it hard. Try to avoid hitting it underneath the wedge may push out and damage the fork.

I left the stem in the garage with the bike. Everything was packed with snow, so I just removed the bolt, took it all off, and pulled the fork. Still too effin cold out there, I'll see if the other (warmer) one will work

I know I was going to put tires on the Schwinn but wife is off today so can't bring the bike in kitchen

I'm letting the cat out of the bag. Mainly because I don't think I can use it as is. I got the wedge out after much spraying and heating and smashing. Didn't even need to break out the swears! So I was able to put together a mockup with the mystery fork.
IMG_20220122_172532394.jpg

It was supposed to be shocking pink, but it just looks wimpy. The tubes seem too thin. I was thinking about bending it a bit to kick it out further. The stuff I thought would come out in the wash turns out to be scuffs and scrapes and paint. I might need to paint it, which really isn't an option with the weather.
IMG_20220122_172546804.jpg

Man those axle bolts are long. The donor had pegs mounted, but I don't wanna. Maybe a stack of nuts topped with an acorn

Not bad once painted it would work it'll look good just trim the axle the acorn nuts.

Executive decision made: ditching the calipers, too cluttered, especially at the rear where there are brake posts. Didn't want to cut them off, so I am going with a set of vees on the rear, nothing on the front.
IMG_20220125_174453810.jpg
Found this set on a Raleigh hybrid MTB left at the curb at Murphy's Inn this summer. It was so horrible I didn't even take a picture. It stunk up the whole garage. Literally. Stripped it down and returned it to the curb.
IMG_20220125_174403057.jpg

Cleaned, oiled, sharp gouges filed down and sanded, the best nuts and bolts consolidated, and we have brakes.

If it's thrown out at Murphy's Inn Ill take your word for it. If you look at the back wall there may still be chi pig art work there. He tagged the building when SNFU played there in mid 2000.

If it's thrown out at Murphy's Inn Ill take your word for it. If you look at the back wall there may still be chi pig art work there. He tagged the building when SNFU played there in mid 2000.
I knew you'd get it. Tweakers' paradise, once they're done with it, it is fully done. Crazy thing is, ONE time I drove past a bike left out there, was in a hurry to get somewhere, so I messaged my brother and he grabbed it instead. Vintage chromoly Shogun road bike, still a treasured member of his collection.

Now let's talk about the bars. This is where I might get into trouble with the Rule of 3. "Muscle bike appropriate bars (Apehangers, steering wheels, "weird" bars...)" So I got those mini apes. I haven't measured, but maybe 8-10" of rise, nice comfy sweep, definitely muscle bike stuff, right?
IMG_20220125_174558883.jpg

Remember that rad set of MX bars with the cool cross brace I grabbed last week? BAM!
IMG_20220125_174608443.jpg

Muscle MX bars. Am I pushing it too far? Should I start looking for a skinny tire to make regs?

Last edited:
I got a chromoly mongoose once in front the century motel thing was perfect rock shock forks. Was really nice. Chrome frame may stay have it. Any building that let us have punk rock shows is gross

Now let's talk about the bars. This is where I might get into trouble with the Rule of 3. "Muscle bike appropriate bars (Apehangers, steering wheels, "weird" bars...)" So I got those mini apes. I haven't measured, but maybe 8-10" of rise, nice comfy sweep, definitely muscle bike stuff, right?
View attachment 184528
Remember that rad set of MX bars I grabbed last week? BAM!
View attachment 184527
Muscle MX bars. Am I pushing it too far? Should I start looking for a skinny tire to make regs?
Id go with the skinny tire just because it looks good

Any building that let us have punk rock shows is gross
Nope. We got that one show, Sinkhole and Resin Scraper, at the Oddfellows hall. After that one, the respectable places were on to us. Does the Good Riddance show out in Osnabruk count? Lol the opening act singer had a wireless mic, was out in the bus drinking while the band was on stage. The mad old days

We could get away with it in Osnabruk was way out there. PJ bar was the grossest it looked like a 70s strip club inside and the clientele was even worse we would would go set up at 1 in the afternoon 10 people at the bar and 6 teeth between them. Once seen a guy pee himself on the barstool and they kept serving him.

We could get away with it in Osnabruk was way out there. PJ bar was the grossest it looked like a 70s strip club inside and the clientele was even worse we would would go set up at 1 in the afternoon 10 people at the bar and 6 teeth between them. Once seen a guy pee himself on the barstool and they kept serving him.
Ewwwwwwwwww

Once seen a guy pee himself on the barstool and they kept serving him.
Watched a "weekend pass" guy do that on the bus in Kingston once. I used to be amused by that kinda thing. The quality of dives I frequent has elevated slightly. The lady requires less urine. Lola's is... Better? But actually haven't been inside a bar in years. I'm due for a messup.
These sidetracks are appropriate, since my theme here is the muscle bike I would have built back in the day. Brakes from Murphy's, on a bike I jonesed over when I was a kid, rolling on mags, which were a dream to the younger, insaner me.

Watched a "weekend pass" guy do that on the bus in Kingston once. I used to be amused by that kinda thing. The quality of dives I frequent has elevated slightly. The lady requires less urine. Lola's is... Better? But actually haven't been inside a bar in years. I'm due for a messup.
These sidetracks are appropriate, since my theme here is the muscle bike I would have built back in the day
A friend younger than I that passed away a few years back built this style of bike as a kid. I got his last one (gone now) and figured out he used a Murray King Kat springer on a Cook Brothers chrome BMX frame.
High dollar parts today, but in the 1980s they were just stuff a kid built a custom bike from.

Doesn't matter what era, that's what we all did man. I butchered Stingray and Krate bikes, chrome Huffy 20" bikes, Columbia, Murray, whatever.

Did the same thing with Chargers, Mustangs, Chevelles, Impala Super Sports Javelins. You get the picture.

It's my fault none of the parts to restore these bikes and cars exist anymore. They have been recycled so many times they should have their own museum

That is a heavy burden man.

Now I am building these customs and stockers again.

Now back to the fun!

Last edited:
Man I wish I did but I have had several phones since then and a couple didn't transfer my photos to Gooooogle. One was so bad I couldn't read the screen.
I was a scrap metal processor with a half acre property, three buildings and a lot of energy. All that is gone now. Including the energy.

That is what happened to my phones and photos. Working like I did I could run over then with the truck or forklift, drop them off the lofts or roof or just randomly drop stuff on them.

I had a King Kat chopper, so I used the fork to put it back together. The Cook Bros frame went to a Bryan Edwards, a friend who used to race BMX nationally. He built it up and rode it in some kind of vintage BMX racing events.

We had another friend, Don Fogler who also rode BMX, he went to the 24" Cruiser Division. He got my early 1980s white with red lettering RedLine, he didn't go as far as Bryan did. He got married and started a sign shop. He makes stuff for me at cost still because of the RedLine.

Next time I see Jimmy's brother Mark I will ask him if he has any photos of Jimmy's Cook Bros Chopper.

Latest posts

Back