Bonefish: The Beginnings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I used to tell people that if I wanted anything, all I had to do was be willing to wait and I would find it on the curb free.

I think you muscle guys are going to like the tire I dug out for the front. It's an oldie, probably eighties at the latest?
IMG_20220128_160858585.jpg
IMG_20220128_160932330.jpg

Front: 20x1.75
IMG_20220128_160953736.jpg

Rear: 20x2.125 ( apologies, I can't get good pics in the Lab, hard to see the sizing)
IMG_20220128_161241912.jpg

And that's three outta three.IMG_20220128_161311121.jpg
Not too bad, if I say so myself.
Now I need to switch the crank sprocket, put on the chain, run a cable, get some grips, see if I've got any pedals I can swap, anything else I'm missing? Oh yeah. No stem as of yet. And the Committee says I have to do something about the pink fork, but I need to think. I like it, want it to work, and painting is tough this time of year.

*I lowered the seat about an inch and added rear pegs. I'm getting the fussy stuff going in my head now too. The bag I showed earlier is too big to mount below the seat, might end up on the bars, we'll have to see.

Shout out to @ingola for hooking me up with some more pieces to the picture.
The stem is from a Norco Santa Cruz. Fits the fork and I love the look of it
IMG_20220204_161403499.jpg

But alas, the spiteful bulge in the middle of the bar refuses to submit.
IMG_20220204_161420548.jpg

Really unfortunate because I like where this is sitting.
IMG_20220204_161802551.jpg

So the stem search is ongoing. The old school moto grips, on the other hand, are just the thing the mad doctor ordered.
IMG_20220204_161713367.jpg

There's a piece broken off one of the flanges, but I don't even think I mind
IMG_20220204_161748960.jpg

I'll clean them up and see how it works with that place lined up with the brake lever. The Arbiter of Good Taste keeps telling me that I must paint the fork. I'm thinking about it. Black enamel appliance paint perhaps, but weather is always a factor. I will be lucky if I get a day with temps above freezing any time before Ragnarok. See you on the battlefield

Shout out to @ingola for hooking me up with some more pieces to the picture.
The stem is from a Norco Santa Cruz. Fits the fork and I love the look of itView attachment 185171
But alas, the spiteful bulge in the middle of the bar refuses to submit.View attachment 185170
Really unfortunate because I like where this is sitting.View attachment 185168
So the stem search is ongoing. The old school moto grips, on the other hand, are just the thing the mad doctor ordered.View attachment 185167
There's a piece broken off one of the flanges, but I don't even think I mindView attachment 185166
I'll clean them up and see how it works with that place lined up with the brake lever. The Arbiter of Good Taste keeps telling me that I must paint the fork. I'm thinking about it. Black enamel appliance paint perhaps, but weather is always a factor. I will be lucky if I get a day with temps above freezing any time before Ragnarok. See you on the battlefield
Those Moto Grips have the best feel. 💪🏻

I spent some time out in the garage with the other fork, the black housepaint one. Chucked it in the bench vise as straight as I could, and attempted to bend the little old thing. Holy smokes nobody told me it would be HAERRRRRD! I put the pump arm from my floor jack in the steerer, leaned back on it, applied considerable weight. Creak, crack, groan. Was that the fork, the bench, or my back? Definitely the bench! Almost split the 2 1/2" board it was bolted to! Flipped it 180° and pressed more gently, gradually building up pressure until I had it as far as I was comfortable pushing it. Brought it downstairs and compared to the Pepto puke pink one, nothing! Not a bit of change and I nearly ripped the vise outta the bench! Don't even want to show pictures, why illustrate nothing

Garage door header 4 x 4 down to bottle jack, on the fork, set on blocks and you have a press.........Curt

I've bent forks by rolling over them with my truck.
set up a little jig of 2x4's and put the forks down lengthwise.
Rolled my truck tire carefully up onto the fork and squish it was done...
Just takes a little thinking beforehand as to what will move where...

Also, the last page or so has reminded me of why I don't try to use BMX parts on a muscle bike anymore.

Carl.

why I don't try to use BMX parts on a muscle bike anymore.
I'm getting to that point. I've never done a muscle build before, more to learn than I expected. It's sorta funny, I
had illusions (delusions?) that I would illustrate that there isn't such a big difference between the two. I guess that's why you do the experiment after the hypothesis. Rat Science 101

I'm getting to that point. I've never done a muscle build before, more to learn than I expected. It's sorta funny, I
had illusions (delusions?) that I would illustrate that there isn't such a big difference between the two. I guess that's why you do the experiment after the hypothesis. Rat Science 101
Basically a full dress build but add even more components, a sissy, wheelie bars, bumpers, side-pipes, fake Engine, or whatever else turns your crank. Shiny or ratty.

Make it ratty, or make it shine!

Latest posts

Back