BOSS COLUMBIA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm throwing my hat in the ring! This is my Columbia (year unknown) that I'm doin' up 50's style. I have the before pics on my phone but can't get them on my computer, but I'll get 'em on later. The rims are buster so another set will get painted later. Right now i'm gonna fix what I got here before I move on. I've got a bunch of goodies planed including my home built frenched headlight. Since it's a 50's custom, that dent in the fender was patched with lead. I'll get the file on it tomarow and shape it smoth and get some paint on it. The chrome "hood orniment" on the fender cleaned up good so it's one part at a time!
003.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg

Okay, I've had a bunch 'o stuff occupin'my time so I haven't had a lot of progress. But I have hit the hardware store and use my lunch break at work to get stuff around. The front fender is done, I filed the lead to shape and got new braces. My "frenched headlight" is a pain in the nogin but I almost have it. I lost my daily ride and had to built another in 4 days, new record!!!! I'll post some pics of that one as "Twister Rat", by the way, is it bad to have sooo many parts that you can build a whole bike at the drop of a hat? :roll:

Nope and if you can incorporate that hat, that you dropped, into the theme of the bike .... Well then you're one of the Really Cool Kids on this internet block! 8)
Chainsaw

Progress! It's hard to get time these days :? ! So I wanted to make my own stuff, the headlight is almost ready! With the 50's theme, the headlight needed that "frenched" look. So I used the bottom of a beer can, an exhaust adapter, and the dust cap for an AMC. Turned out better than I hoped, and at less than $4 (minus 12 pack $) it rocks! But I realy need to get in gear here, there's a lot of cool bikes here. Not to mention that "Convict" on the lose!
002-1.jpg
001-2.jpg

Paint, grind, paint, mount head light, strip for paint and realize I have NO PRIMER?! Big weekend so I'm good. Look behind the forks, is that the bigest seat post you've ever seen?
010.jpg

So I'm gonna miss the deadline, kinda stinks, okay, stinks a bunch. I actualy could have finished on time but I'm not rushing it.I painted the fenders and chain guard today and to add to the fun, they all had fish eyes all over the paint :?: But the tank is almost done and the wheels are drying. I'm still finishing the BOSS, next build, I'll manage my time better! And GOOD LUCK to all, I checked out all the finished bikes and they all ROCK!!!

Hey Big,Im liking that headlight!

Im thinking you work at...

A:Auto Parts Store
B:Liquore Store
C:Both

How long did it take find all those parts to fit together so good?

guessing you, at some point, used wd40 or some lube to loosen parts.......thatll do it every time......always try to clean with wax& grease remover first(if you dont have access to it windex will work in a pinch)......sorry to hear you wont make it.hope you still post when its finished

No way I'm not finishing the bike, I just didn't exspect things to take up a bunch 'o time like painting the rims. I'll take my lumps and push on. I hadn't used WD-40 around the parts and I use rubbing alcohol to clean stuff since it's cheep, one fair coat of primer and then the first coat of flat black had the pits. Some go down to the metal, I don't think the paint liked the primer. :? MagicRat; That's hilarious! I'm a welder at a factory and the job for the most part isn't very mentaly stimulating so I've got lots of time to plot stuff. I did almost get a job at a auto parts store part time, my friends dad works there and I can spend an hour there easy. And I think it was about 4 days to get that light together. The tank is a 2 1/2 exaust pipe smashed on one end, I was suppost to get some 4" EMT from my bro but he lives 45 min away and $3.17 a gal I didn't get it. I'll use that tank later. Thanks for the comments too :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back