Bought new tires and ow they wont fit on the bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought some Schwalbe fat frank tires 26x2.35 for my flightliner, and mounted them on the rims, and now the back wheel wont fit on the bike.
its catching on the fenders.
is there anything i can do, short of getting smaller tires?
thanks,
BLINK

anybody know a good place to buy tires online?

take the fenders off, make sure the tires fit in the frame, if they do and you want fenders, youll probably have to but ballon tire fenders and trim themout around the rear stays.

a pic of the problem would help a bunch tho.

CCR said:
take the fenders off, make sure the tires fit in the frame, if they do and you want fenders, youll probably have to but ballon tire fenders and trim themout around the rear stays.

a pic of the problem would help a bunch tho.

thanks ccr
i am about to take off the fenders and try it.
i did see a place that sells balloon tire fenders.
thats a cool idea to try.

Are they rubbing on the edge of the fenders. The fat franks have a rounder profile than most other tires. Like CCR said probably some Balloon fender as the Flightliners originally had 1.75's on. You could also try bobbing the fender so they don't rub in the back. Then add a chainlink if possible so you are in the rear of the dropouts.

cman said:
Are they rubbing on the edge of the fenders. The fat franks have a rounder profile than most other tires. Like CCR said probably some Balloon fender as the Flightliners originally had 1.75's on. You could also try bobbing the fender so they don't rub in the back. Then add a chainlink if possible so you are in the rear of the dropouts.

ok, so the front wheel fits with the fender.
the back wheel fits with the fender removed.....but all the way to the rear of the dropouts.
i think i am gonna ride her like that for a while. i ordered some 1.75" whitewalls but they wont be here for like 2 weeks!
at this point i just want to ride! gotta pick up a chain tool this evening, then she will be ready.
will post some photos tomorrow!

BLINK

yea fat franks are a tight fit in the rear of a schwinn fat tire frame so unless you do some stretching to the frame it will not fit a middweight

however you might want to try some felt 26x 2.125 tires i have found that they will fit in some middweights with the original fenders.

I just solved this problem on my "new" old columbia I bought, I was trying to mount 26 X 2.125's and the fender wouldn't fit. First, add a chain link to your chain to get the wheel as far back in the droupout as you can, mount your fender to the hole by the crank tube only, and sit the back wheel in place. Find yourself a couple of screwdrivers or whatever to use as spacers, and set up the fender so that it has clearance from the tire, and measure the gap between the fender brace and its mounting hole. Then take a couple of scrap pieces of aluminum, and make yourself mini truss rods to bolt to the frame, and the ends of the fender brace.
I'll try to get a picture of what im talking about up later tonight.
Rick

Rick,
these are just way too fat, 2.35"
i have them all the way back in my dropouts, still wont work. also the springer hits in the front.

my solution is to just get smaller tires, and use the fatfranks on another project.

thanks though!
BLINK

Back