Boy's Rocket bike (mfd. by Monark Silver King)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not a completely fresh find, but this is the first chance I've had to get some pictures up. Unfortunately I had to do it on a day where I didn't have any good lighting options, so please excuse the crappy picture quality.

My wife's grandparents both passed in the last year, and as their stuff was being sorted out, nobody had interest in this. I can't say I was in the market for a child's bike, but I'm certainly not letting something like this go to a landfill. I'm still not entirely certain what direction I'll take with this project, but I'm gonna get it cleaned up and take it from there. I have a nephew that would be old enough to ride this in a few years and I'd love to build it up for him, but I have to wonder if he'd think it's as cool as I do :D?

a4qwz5.jpg

2ef7y8l.jpg

2sbrfwl.jpg

Apparently all of the kids in the family rode this bike at some point or another, so they're all for me keeping it in the family.

I'm really liking the grips on here. I'm not sure how to go about getting the gunk off of them, and I also don't know how clean I'll be able to get them, but I'd really like to preserve them.

2vxqhis.jpg

If I do manage to keep the bike in the family (or heck, even in the state - this is Wisconsin, after all), I think it'd be really fitting to preserve this "Tractor Grip" tire (my wife comes from a family of farmers). Unfortunately they aren't a matching pair, and the one that I do have isn't in that great of shape. A shame, because I think it's pretty cool.

2u60k88.jpg

Apparently when everyone was using the bike they thought it looked cooler with this seat cover. I think it's pretty cool, but unless I repaint the bike a color that goes well with it, I probably won't end up using it. The good news is that it has helped preserve the white polo seat pretty well. The bad news is that there is still some yellowing of the polo seat anyways ... I'll have to look into how to remedy that.

2zy9z78.jpg

I do believe this thing also had a chainguard at some point, so whenever I get to that point I'll probably try to track one down. I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of questions over the next few months about cleaning/restoring certain parts of this bike, and I'll be sure to post the finished product as well. Thanks for looking :).

Wow this bike has seen all the era's and has a piece of each to tell the story...lol It is probably a 1950's Monark frame. Then you have a Troxel banana seat and sissy from the muscle bike era. You have some MX type handlebars. The tractor grip tire I believe is from bmx era. A cool bike with lots of stories to tell. Do you remember it having a tank? Here is a link to one for sale on Ebay so you know what is missing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARK-20-S...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ae2578b

Wow this bike has seen all the era's and has a piece of each to tell the story...lol It is probably a 1950's Monark frame. Then you have a Troxel banana seat and sissy from the muscle bike era. You have some MX type handlebars. The tractor grip tire I believe is from bmx era. A cool bike with lots of stories to tell. Do you remember it having a tank? Here is a link to one for sale on Ebay so you know what is missing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARK-20-S...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ae2578b

:D Yeah, I'm not knowledgable on when banana seats were popular, but the BMX bars tipped me off that this bike wasn't completely original. Thanks for all of the info and a BIG thanks for that link ... I don't know that it ever had a tank, but it'll look sweet with or without one.

Good idea. I have a bottle of Simple Green and I haven't had much luck with it as a degreaser, so this might be a good use for it.
I have had really good luck with magic erasers.

Orange. Its a degreasing soap.. you can find it in hardware stores. its about 6 bucks. Takes EVERYTHING off hands and rubber, Im sure it'd be a great cleaner for frames.

This bike really shows how a well made bike can last thru generations of kids! Glad you saved it, and posted it here!

Latest posts

Back