brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really new with bikes so I'm trying to figure out as much as i can now to apply to the build im doing. its my first build, and first real time seeing the diagnostics of a bike, as easy/difficult as its been. My question (which may be quite easy to answer and simple, idk) is i'm looking to use the coaster break method for my 1963 schwinn corvette. I believe it originally came with calliper brakes system, the hand brakes, correct me if i'm wrong?? Anyways what do i need in order to make it a coaster break bike...as far as the rear wheel, hub (anything special), crank, pedals, and chain system?? I dont know if all of those things ties into this or not, some input would be very much appreciated for this beginner!

Thanks

ride on rats

The coaster brake hub has anchoring arm, which is attached to the chainstay w/a strap. I'm not sure, but I suspect the width of the original geared hub is the same as a coaster hub. If not, you can add spacers between the inner bearing race, which threads onto the axle, and the outer locknut that keeps them from moving on the axle. Same sprockets and chain can be used, check the alignment of the chain. Most(not all)sprockets are dished and can be flipped to adjust chain alignment. That's about it.

P.S. Chain stay means the lower frame tube in the tail section. :wink:

Latest posts

Back