Brazen 🔥 (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does it hold out to the elements ?
Once it is sealed and clear coated it will be just like any other painted surface. It can be chipped or scratched when done.
That looks amazing!
Thank You @LukeTheJoker
20230516_023551.jpg

Every piece of foil is slightly different. This was the first time I've ever gilded anything. Easier than I thought it was.

Once it is sealed and clear coated it will be just like any other painted surface. It can be chipped or scratched when done.

Thank You @LukeTheJoker
View attachment 232656
Every piece of foil is slightly different. This was the first time I've ever gilded anything. Easier than I thought it was.
Looks awesome. Well done

Looks awesome. Well done
Thank You. One more to go. :)

I thought I was being meticulous about rims, till now! That's marketable skill you've got. "A" class.
Thanks Ridemhigh. I uusally don't give the wheels this much attention. Tear em down, maybe paint, rebuild the hubs, then New spokes, true it up and Done.

Here it is in the third week and I'm still working wheels. Depending on how I clear them, I may be a week or more from putting a hub on. Then I have 128 spokes to lace. 😈
Holy smokes!! I've never seen that process before. Love how the logo shows through on the rims too!
In todays internet, some skills are easy to learn. Still have a ways before mastery. To start It's a one sheet set of instructions that come with it. I read up on some tips and things on the glue mfgr website. And watched a couple youtubes.
20230516_052445.jpg

Best instruction video I liked

I think you've just glided into the gilder's guild. :113:
Hahaha ha. Gliding into something for sure 😄

So very cool, I love the colours too, almost looks like streaks of rust over new steel.
They do. Thats a surprising effect i hoped might result.

There were a few styles and colors of the variegated foil. I picked the sunset style because of the lines from the heat to cause the discoloration in streaks. Starry night was the other one I was contemplating.

They do. Thats a surprising effect i hoped might result.

There were a few styles and colors of the variegated foil. I picked the sunset style because of the lines from the heat to cause the discoloration in streaks. Starry night was the other one I was contemplating.
The view from the back porch as I start work today. A bit of a rainbow.
20230517_064330.jpg

Gonna let them sun to fully dry for the first round of clear coat tomorrow or Friday.

So very cool, I love the colours too, almost looks like streaks of rust over new steel.
That's exactly what I was thinking Luke! They have an 'antique' look to them, as well as a very modern, contemporary look; both at the same time.

MC, you have done it again!

That's exactly what I was thinking Luke! They have an 'antique' look to them, as well as a very modern, contemporary look; both at the same time.

MC, you have done it again!
Thank You OJ. I appreciate it.

I keep looking at them and keep wondering if after a dew coats of clear that I should put a black tinted clear to darken them up.

Then think, naaah, they are perfect that color. So rather than overthinking it, will keep the that "Streaks of rust over new steel" color that LTJ observed.

I've also been contemplating dart outlines on the frame with the some of the extra foil.

Thank You. One more to go. :)

Thanks Ridemhigh. I uusally don't give the wheels this much attention. Tear em down, maybe paint, rebuild the hubs, then New spokes, true it up and Done.

Here it is in the third week and I'm still working wheels. Depending on how I clear them, I may be a week or more from putting a hub on. Then I have 128 spokes to lace. 😈

In todays internet, some skills are easy to learn. Still have a ways before mastery. To start It's a one sheet set of instructions that come with it. I read up on some tips and things on the glue mfgr website. And watched a couple youtubes.
View attachment 232669
Best instruction video I liked

Hahaha ha. Gliding into something for sure 😄

Hey nothing like going really old school. Gilding predates an awful lot of other decoration methods but could be arguing wrapping is an updated option. In Bookbinding the gold edges to the pages were protection as well so skin oils etc and the bugs did not chew the pages from the outside.

Hey nothing like going really old school. Gilding predates an awful lot of other decoration methods but could be arguing wrapping is an updated option. In Bookbinding the gold edges to the pages were protection as well so skin oils etc and the bugs did not chew the pages from the outside.
I did not know that about the reason for the gold page edges. Interesting. :thumbsup:

Cool. Really old school!

I did not know that about the reason for the gold page edges. Interesting. :thumbsup:
I didn't know it either. I knew the Gutenberg Bibles had gold foil gilded on the pages, but didn't know that's why the gold was on the page edges of books. Just thought it was cool.

The gilding on those wheels looks amazing! I would have never thought to try that but I'm sure glad you did. Sweet!
Thank You Pondo. When I was searching.for rusty vinyl wrap the foil kept showing up. Had always wanted to try it and found out the basics pretty quickly and Mad the leap.

It's started. A coat every 10-15 minutes until done. Maybe 5 or 6 coats will do it.
20230519_123206.jpg

Ceramic clear enamel.

Bringing every flaw and piece of cotton to my attention. After the first coat I see the brush marks from the non thinned glue. Next time thin it...

20230519_133918.jpg

20230519_133930.jpg

Too late for this round. It's set in glass now...

Latest posts

Back