Brazing question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey guys, haven't tried my hand at brazing a damaged frame yet, but looks like I'm gonna have to. So a basic question for you. Does all the old brass HAVE to be removed? It's a fairly large area of complex shapes and will not be easy to remove it all, let alone flow it back in all the areas. So can you just reflow a joint with more brass?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think the possibilities of impurities in or around the old brass might have an adverse effect.You might want to let a couple more people weigh in on this before you proceed.

No need to remove old brass but remember it is all about cleanliness. You can burn some impurities out with lots of flux.

Spot on mate, and heat the rod and dip it into the flux.

Could you post photos? It would help some of us out. Also what type of gas are you going to use. I would suggest mapp with a self igniter, and when brazing make sure to heat it up until it is orange almost a liquid.

I'm gonna use Oxy/Acyl torches. I work at an auto dealer and we have them there.

Perhaps a Mapp gas one would work great at home...may have to look into that.

Either way, when I do it, I'm gonna post pics of the job. Hope it all comes out good. I'm more concerned about the metal repair than the brazing itself.

yes run it until u see black flame, turn it after that. That is how I was taught in college. If you a technical reason I don't have one but you could look it up. It probably has to due with temp. of the flame and the base metal.

Latest posts

Back