Brick Top **BIG UPDATE 5/19** almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
but she's on her way...

This is how it started (sorry the pics suck so bad!)
bike6.jpg

bike5.jpg

Bone stock KK roadster...

Then stripped everything off, only kept the frame, rear fender, seat post and neck for the handlebars

P1030023.jpg

Currently putting her back together, slowly accumulating parts...

Ordered a quick and thick brick, should be here in a day or two, picked up a bullet headlight and mounted it today, here's some current progress pics...

photo-13.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-2.jpg

What do you guys think of the handle bars? I had a couple laying around. I dont know if I like it or not, I think I need to wait until I get the rims and tires on. Once those are on I can decide what shape bars to go with. Then I'll chop the rear fender and install it, then all I'll need is crank, and grips. What do you guys think?

UPDATE 5/18!!

photo-14.jpg

photo-17.jpg

BIG UPDATE 5/19!!

This is big time, super excited. I loved the way it is turning out. The bars are still up in the air, but I do like them. I reworked the bracket a bit for the headlight, I think it's sitting perfect now. You guys tell me...

The seat is temporary right now, my new seat should be here tomorrow or Thursday.
photo-18.jpg

photo-19.jpg

The crank got left in Chino on accident, so I can't set the chain and rear fender, but I was able to chop it up and bang it into shape...

Kind've looked like this before:
photo-24.jpg

photo-30.jpg

Then it looked like this:
photo-21.jpg

before the grinder...
photo-29.jpg

Rough fitting on how it will sit when it's finished (have to wait til I put the crank and chain on)

photo-31.jpg

Like I said, still not sure on the bars, I might want something that comes straight back where the grips will be (almost 90 degree turn) instead of out and back like these do.

But the only things left for the build should be grips, the seat and the crank. (Might get a seat post the kicks back, I want the seat to be as close as possible to the rear fender) What do you guys think so far?

Re: Havent named her yet...

that is about the most awful looking thing i have ever seen. whats the matter with you. please send it to me so i can make it right. lol. got ya. that bike is going to be sic. i like it.

Outlaw

haha, you did get me.

Im still on the fence about what way I should go with the handle bars. I want a subtle, old-racer looking front end but Im not sure if it flows with the rest of the bike. Luckily its an easy fix.

Im also still working on the mounting of the headlight. I threw the bracket together very quickly today in an hour or so. I need to get the positioning just right on it.

Just to put my 2cents worth in...have you considered the tallest set of apes money can buy? Your frame is so long & low I thought you might to give it some height as contrast...but then again it might be too long for high apes to be comfortable to ride? It would look bad-..... though...great start at any rate!...Pappy 8)

I did look at apes, the only thing really keeping me from going that route is that almost every custom stretch bike goes the way of the hanger. It does look pretty f'in sweet though, I just want to try something different, something I haven't really seen out there.

bring.doom said:
I say if the bike with those bars is tolerable to ride then keep them cause it looks sweet.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I really hope it turns out right. I might have to go with something a little less extreme though...

try turning the neck around and keep those bars on and see what it looks like. or get a moon or cruiser bar and do the same thing. i like the bars you have now.

Outlaw

I'll be posting pics as soon as I get the wheels and tires on, hopefully by this weekend. Then I think I'll make my final decision. The bike has a totally different stance once the wheels are on anyway.

how about naming the bke Sweet n Low

Outlaw

how about "low baller" or "down and out"

Im still up in the air as far as the name goes. And I think Im going to re work the bracket for the headlight. I dont like that it is just a flat line to the headlight. Im going to try putting a nice radius on the bracket and maybe some other subtle styling cues.

What about you guys? How have you typically seen headlights mounted on springer front ends? I want the light positioned in front of the springer like it is now...

xSKULLSWINGERx said:
deorman said:
Kinda looks like a swimmer...

??

Stretched out arms forward, legs straight back, head slightly raised... 8) pic#6

Back