Brit Newbie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

My name is Eddie and I am soon to be a student in England.
Recently my girlfriend decided she wanted a Pashley Poppy for her 18th birthday. She was rather upset when she realised that the bike cost £500-odd and that with whatever else her parents had bought her it'd just be far too much money. She was heart broken. So I set out to do that thing that all boyfriends should try and do (I think!) fix his girl's broken heart. A few days later we'd found a 1980-something Raleigh Caprice in full working order on eBay and have since bought primer, paint and laquer and new tyres for it.
I'm midway through the redesign, having stripped most of the parts off and cleaned a lot of the frame ready to be sanded down. Need to figure out how to get the bearing out of the frame where the pedal-sprocket is. And then I'm ready to paint.
Anyway! I digress!!! I was surfing around for an answer to my previous problem, and stumbled across this forum. Now, I want a hotrod, I always have, but being 18, I can't afford to build one, let alone insure one. And I love how low-tec bikes can be. So I think you have found yourselves a new, willing amateur bike 'rodder. I already have a few ideas for slightly more outlandish bikes in future once I've finished this one for my girlfriend. Might be a nice way to earn some cash whilst I'm at uni :p

Sorry for going on so much. Just thunk I ought to say hello properly :) I look forward to meeting you all!

Eddie.

Welcome! Nice thing you're doing for your girlfriend!:) If you look in the How-To-section you might find helpful info on removing cranks and bearings and stuff like that. :)

Thank you! I'll take a look, although I've got to go to work on it tomorrow as I'm running out of time before uni starts, I'm thinking about just wrapping everything i can't remove in masking tape and hoping for the best!
I've been browsing this website for the past 3 hours or so... I HAVE to build myself a ratrod :p Just need to find a suitable frame in the plethora of boring British diamond mountain bikes... Or learn to weld and get a pipe bender.

I have been considering it! Althought I realised earlier today that actually my regular modern road bike has quite a swoopy frame, the top bar isn't straight and with a but of clever wheel sizing and some mean hangers it might do the job. with a lick of paint and a crapload of accessorifications of course >: ]
One way to find out! have to finish this bike first though...

ta! Eddie.

Latest posts

Back