Brooks Saddle rehab

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Purchased this Brooks from Rob (NLCTVWguy )

redbrooks51.jpg

The leather was dry and in need of some conditioner but first the paint must come off. I tried mineral spirits and goof-off with no progress. I thought heat would not be good on the leather so I got out the razor blades. I scraped with the blade vertical to the leather. Slowly the paint was removed from the most of the leather. Some of the leather also was scraped but no biggy.

0115081731a.jpg

Next I conditioned with some Brooks Proofhide. I did front and back because of the dryness of the leather.

0115081731.jpg

Lastly the sides of the saddle needed to be pulled back in to stiffen up the seat. Drilled some holes and laced it up like a shoe.

0115082227.jpg

0115082227a.jpg

Ready to tension

thats a great idea...I have a saddle that i want to make stiffer, this should work good.

I'm really impressed!

Nice job Clancy- I just wasn't sure what to do with that one, I'm glad you figured out how to save it.

I missed the thread the first time around, wasn't ignoring you! Looks great, what's it going on?

Take care,
--Rob

Rob- It is always fun trying to get something vintage back into shape again. Whether it be a seat, a frame w/stuck seat post, or a rusty chrome wheel. Thanks.

I recommend everyone take a look at Rob's thread . Good Deals.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3852

mastershake916 said:
Does anyone know of any tutorials for this?
Also, for reshaping one?

I just did it after seeing that page. I searched around on bikeforums.net and didn't find much. Lacing/tying will pretty much reshape the saddle. The holes can punched or drilled. If you drill, cut the excess leather with a razor blade.

cman said:
mastershake916 said:
Does anyone know of any tutorials for this?
Also, for reshaping one?

I just did it after seeing that page. I searched around on bikeforums.net and didn't find much. Lacing/tying will pretty much reshape the saddle. The holes can punched or drilled. If you drill, cut the excess leather with a razor blade.
I just got an old Wrights saddle that was pretty dried up and the bottom flaps were really fanned out.
I applied some mink oil last night and some now right before clamping it into my workbench. It really softens it up and gives it a nice dark color, even though I wouldn't recommend on putting it on a saddle unless it's really dried out.
I'll see how it turns out, I might bind it or cut it up, maybe even like this one:
http://www.selleanatomica.com/

I use some boot silicone to treat my brook saddle. i've learned that trick from an old bike mechanic back when i was working in a shop.

the trick is to warm up the leather buy putting it in the oven(lowest temp) for a few minutes..once its hot the leather pores are open and you apply the silicone, you do it 3 to 5 times...I've been doing that with every leather saddle I had over the years and it has always worked great, it soften the leather and it require less maintenance over time compare to using the brooks profide stuff...

Today i decided to try the lacing technique on my airpin seat that i found to soft for my taste.
here are the result.:
00002-3.jpg

00005-3.jpg

I'm thinking of maybe lacing the complete underpart of the seat just for looks...

Back