Brooks Saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Not so fresh, but I took this off of a 1948 Rudge that I picked up a couple of years ago.

Its a Brooks saddle with nice spring rails. The top surface of the leather is seriously cracked, but the cracks don't go that deep and the leather and seat are pretty solid. I need to treat the leather at some point.

Does anyone have any idea what model Brooks this might be?

WP_001379.jpg

WP_001380.jpg

WP_001381.jpg

WP_001382.jpg

WP_001383.jpg

I noticed one difference, yours has another layer of material, like a liner under the leather. Mine was made in the 80's, maybe yours is an older version.

Underneath is is stamped with A12 and YH1

Looks like it probably is a B72. I saw something somewhere that these were standard with classic Raleigh Sports, so they were probably also standard with 1948 Rudge Whitworth Sports.
RWa1-1.jpg

This is just a suggestion. Put a large piece of aluminum foil on top of the seat and press it down to conform to the seat's shape. Turn the seat with the foil on it over. Pour a bottle of leather treatment (I like Neatsfoot Compound) onto the seat. The foil will act as a pan to hold the treatment in place. After 30 minutes, pour the treatment back into the container it came in. Mount the seat on your bike and spend the next couple days wiping off the excess that leaches out. I did this to an Ideale seat that I bought here on the forun, and am quite pleased with the results.

It helps the absorbtion if you heat the leather up with a hair dryer first and heat your conditioning treatment on the stove top until it just starts to bubble. Neatsfoot is good stuff but you can also use baby oil, either one will give you excellent results.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Latest posts

Back