Buckled wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to repair a buckled wheel? If so whats the best way and what specific tools will I need?

Cheers
Rob.

you mean the potato chip? loosen all the spokes and get it as close as you can to straight with whatever you can dream up to line it back up without denting it and then try and true it back up.. If your really havin to crank on the spokes in one spot, you may have to take another whack at it.

I have brought some pretty bad ones back from the dead.. :roll:

Thanks mate I'll give it go on the weekend while I wait for some paint to dry :D
So if I get this right tightening spokes will bring the rim closer to the axle and loosening it will allow it to 'spring' away from the axle. This will assist the out of round senario but what about if its bent laterally?? Giving it a "bash" with a dead blow hammer shouldn't do too much anwanted damage should it?

I took one to a LBS once that was pretty taco'd. First the guy grabbed the wheel, tire and all, and slammed against the floor, which straightened it up pretty good. He then put it on the truing stand and finished it up. I just stood there amazed. $15 well spent.

Latest posts

Back