Budget Bomber *update 11/30* -DONE-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to try this build off out. I'm going to attempt to build a bike in the ever so popular and stylish boardtrack style. Since most off my neat parts and frames are in storage, I am going to make this bike out of stuff I have on hand and from what I can find, also I am going to try to do it on the super cheap.

I bought this bike for $10 just for the coaster wheel set that are going on a different project. So minus the coaster wheels, I consider the frame free. It is a Caloi diamond frame "cruiser".

P9170026.jpg

P9170027.jpg

P9170028.jpg

I dug around in some of the few parts I have at home (most of the parts seen in the background are for current projects) and I found this goose neck and these handle bars to replace the bulky BMX style neck and cruiser bars. Also in the parts dump I found some cranks and a chainring.

P9170034.jpg

P9170036.jpg

for wheels, I am going to use a set from a mountain bike that was being given away for free. I removed the gear cluster and added this free wheel. The free wheel being the first purchased part for this project.
P9170030.jpg

I like it so far! Can't wait to see it progress. Seems everyone is doing a Straight bar this time so I'll be watching for the unusual build bikes. Good luck!

You go boy!!!!!!!

Well alrighty then! Glad to see you on board Dude! Maybe we can test ride our creations at Tour De Tempe !!!!! Later & Best of luck Brian!!!! :mrgreen:

I went hunting around some thrift stores and came up with this 3 dollar exercycle. This will provide the seat. I also got these old cans of paint for a buck.

P9170032.jpg

P9170033.jpg

mastershake916 said:
That chain case on the exercise bike might be cool on a regular one if it can me fit on.

The chainring is pretty small, I don't think the gaurd would fit on much else without some mods

I put it all together to make sure every thing fits and rides smooth. I have since changed the brake lever to something more old timey looking. The gold ano lever is cool but a little out of place. I also want to get the seat down lower....this is a big bike. The tires are for mock-up purposes only.

P9180043.jpg

Next I took the bike all apart to create the template for the tank insert.
P9190045.jpg

P9190044.jpg

P9200046.jpg

Once I get the insert in metal, I will re-assemble again and fine tune everything, then blast it apart for paint.....

I've been busy with other projects, but I manged to find time to get my tank insert cut out and in place. Now I just need to do another test mock-up and then paint time.

I found this sheet of steal by my house a few weeks ago and knew I would end up making something with it.
P9270060.jpg

PA010082.jpg

Here are the last of the shots from the mock-up phase. I routed the cables into the tank clamps to clean it up.
PA080130.jpg

I decided to take a change in direction on the handle bars since this build off is flooded with upside-down handle bars. I needed to find something that would help this lowly diamond frame not get lost in the sea of inverted bars, so this is the last pic you will see with these bars.
PA080132.jpg

I've been wanting to make some bars like this for a while and what better time to do it than now. I started with some old ten speed drop bars and some low rise bars.
PA080133.jpg

Then I made some cuts on the low rise bars
PA080135.jpg

and spliced them together like this
PA080136.jpg

PA080137.jpg

They are not welded together yet but that will be my next move, then onto the paint job. The paint is where this bike will really start to take shape and not look like such a dog.

I still can't decide on the really high head light
PA080138.jpg

or the semi-high head light
PA080140.jpg

Myself would lean towards lowering the headlight, as that is much easier than raising the bike. Sweet twist on the dropbars, I am thinking about making some butterfly bars for my build.

i like the handlebar idea, thats pretty creative.

I feel ya on the upside down bars, they're everywhere. I might put mine rightside up again just because its not comfortable to ride on my bike.

looking forward to how you decide to mount that light too. good luck

raised by robots said:
I might put mine rightside up again just because its not comfortable to ride on my bike.

I hope Kev doesn't read this.

Great idea on the handle bars.

Latest posts

Back