Build-Off Bike Names: Pop Culture References

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Sims? I had a dragon and bat Caballero bitd, with Indys and Bullit66 wheels.
DCPABBCA5B.jpg

I would buy that board again if given a chance. Not my only one, but a definite favorite. The setup was so good

Plum Crazy is the Dodge name for the purple color they offered in the late '60s and title of a book I'm working on that features bad guys with a 1970 'Cuda 440 in purple (In Violet is what Plymouth called their purple, but Plum Crazy sounds better, is better remembered, and fits my main character. I could have gone with a Dodge, but I feel 'Cudas don't get enough recognition in action stories vs Mustangs, Chargers, and Challengers). Obviously, I plan on painting the bike that color.

Which Sims? I had a dragon and bat Caballero bitd, with Indys and Bullit66 wheels.
View attachment 158727
I would buy that board again if given a chance. Not my only one, but a definite favorite. The setup was so good
It was an early poolrider, 10" wide and no concave to the sides of the deck. Tracker Trucks and Sims Snake wheels, circa 1977ish. Throw the deck on my handlebars and pedal over here...or just skate from home.

My first modern-ish deck with urethane wheels was a 27" Sims Oak Kick with Bennett Trucks and Road Rider Red #4 wheels, 1974ish?

Yup, that was definitely more rad than Cornwall, Ontario in the eighties. My neighborhood had a painted curb that we could shred once the business closed for the night. We made driveway quarter pipes, spine ramps, launches, platforms, and grinders. PVC coping, or sawed off bed rails for the grinders. The neighborhood kids would all come over and hang out. Neighbors hated it so much. We grabbed someone's poodle clippers and everyone got the McFly haircut (what we called copies of Tony Hawk's'do)
GeorgeMcfly.jpg
e9c9fc580ccc2ebbbc63a3add1cdde6c.jpg

𝑀𝑦 π‘π‘–π‘˜π‘’'𝑠 π‘›π‘Žπ‘šπ‘’ 𝑖𝑠 π‘Ž π‘ π‘–π‘šπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘π‘™π‘Žπ‘¦ π‘œπ‘› π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘β„Žπ‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘ π‘’ "π‘Œπ‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘”π‘œπ‘œπ‘ π‘’ 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘œπ‘œπ‘˜π‘’π‘‘". 𝐼𝑑 π‘€π‘Žπ‘  π‘’π‘–π‘‘β„Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑏𝑒𝑖𝑙𝑑 𝑖𝑑 π‘–π‘›π‘‘π‘œ π‘ π‘œπ‘šπ‘’π‘‘β„Žπ‘–π‘›π‘” π‘ π‘œπ‘šπ‘’π‘‘π‘–π‘šπ‘’ π‘‘β„Žπ‘–π‘  π‘ π‘π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘›π‘” π‘œπ‘Ÿ π‘β„Žπ‘’π‘π‘˜ 𝑖𝑑 π‘–π‘›π‘‘π‘œ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘ π‘π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘ 𝑏𝑖𝑛.

Which is why I started this thread. The generations beyond the Boomers sometimes seem intimidated by "old guy" references and they are less likely to be when things are explained. It goes both ways as well. I learn things from younger friends and acquaintances constantly.
Me too, and I'm not shy about asking, often beginning those conversations with "Help a Boomer out ..."

My bike, Cyclo Killer is a play on the song Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads. A few from my generation have pointed that out already. The name just popped into my head and I thought it would be cool, but afterward it got the gears turning and has developed into a bicycle version of Harley Quinn in my head, so that’s what I’m going with.

Latest posts

Back