Build Off Musicians lounge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several weeks ago I had a trio gig and our bassist tested positive for the rona just a few hours before load in. So the guitarist and I did an 'unplugged' duo instead. Most of the time I'm on the kit so it was fun to change things up.

Got the hostess to get a picture from behind with my phone toward the end of the night.
View attachment 204014

Since then we were back as the trio but decided to do the unplugged set up again with the three of us. Fun to do and much easier loading gear! :cool:
Looks like a cool venue.

234959ED-CDCF-44C6-B17E-3DA33DD25CBA.jpeg
I built a bunch of cigar box guitars last year. I wish I had known about them as a teenager. Pretty easy to learn and to casually play and only costs about $15-20!

Here is a video of a coworker playing an electric one I made.

Highwood Band closed out the Summer of '22 Tour last night at the N St Paul Car Cruzer. Here's a clip from the gig, our version of "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress".

I didn’t mention this before, but the tribute band looks really legit. I haven’t had time to look at any of the videos. Of course now that the deadline has passed…

I was looking at that cigar box guitar and I’m thinking that for a long time I have wanted to build a dobro upright bass.

I’ve never seen one, but I found the idea interesting. I still own three flat tops, but I don’t own a bass of any description.

I almost stopped playing completely, once I started coding back in ‘75. But I was slowly going blind over the years until my 20/20 vision had gone to 20/800.

I have never been able to drive a car without eyeglasses, or do much of anything else. Eventually the big E on the eye chart started to look like a B or an F.

I contemplated taking up music as a career. Do you all remember Blind Melon Chitlin? Well I could’ve been Blind Ulu Watu.

“Charts? We don’t need charts! You guys just follow me . . .”

Then I met a guy named Chad Reeder who put plastic lenses inside my eyes on his Frankenstein Waldo computer set up and now I see 20/20. I do need reading glasses sometimes.

That eye surgery was the greatest event of my entire life. It also allowed me to do other things I’ve always wanted to do, but could not.

But it doesn’t appear that I’m going to go blind before the other parts of my body fail now.

I didn’t mention this before, but the tribute band looks really legit. I haven’t had time to look at any of the videos. Of course now that the deadline has passed…
Thank you. It’s a ton of fun for us old guys. I still haul around 4 cabinets…. Need roadie. 😀

I've been workin' on guitars since I was a kid. At 14 my grampa got me started, we used to write letters to Fender and they'd send schematics back. I'm 62 now and have been a repair tech for the last 5 yrs at a local mom n pop store. We're 60 miles south of Chicago so I get to fix a lot of mistakes the "Guitar Center" guys do to instruments, and I see a fair amount of "I bought it on amazon" junk. But there is a great music community around here too, so I also get to work on and play some beautiful guitars that I'd never even get to see otherwise. Spent a lot of my 20's chasing girls and barflyin' so I'm not as good a player as I feel like I should be. But I front a Christian rock band called Crossfire playin' top 100 Christian music in church 2 or 3 times a month. It's cool, kinda classic rock with ..... lyrics the way we play em'. I've also been talkin' with a few local musicians and guys who work at the store too and will be putting a band together as soon as I can get moved across town. I've got the house I grew up in, been remodeling it for a few years, little at a time, and there's a jam space and since I own a PA, drum kit, keysboards, 3 guitar rigs and a bass rig, I'm setting it all up to jam. (my bicycle boneyard is over there too) It'll probably be heavy rock influenced by Jimi, Zep, Sabbath and Floyd with some shredder, shoegazer and Neil Young tossed in. Mostly originals with some deep cut covers. I own over 50 guitars, I might as well start flinging them around on a stage (you can only go so far in church lol) We're calling it Charcuterie.

GuitarlCarl also on Instagram as guitarl_carl and carlj_guitartech

Here's my entry video with my custom soundtrack that I wrote, performed and recorded for this year's build off. I played the bar scene for years, but now perform mostly for kids/family and just record in my basement.

Soul-G, awesome video! Somehow I missed this in your thread. Busy week I guess. Music, and the ride = cool!

Latest posts

Back