building a differential gear.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm building a defferental for a trike rearend.
This was built using off the shelf parts and home power/hand tools
has a two scooter freewheels with axle adapters seperated by a section of tailpipe and bolted together(6mm bolts) two 4 bolt sprockets are bolted on in line with the front hub whick I added sprockets to(brazing)
This lets both axles pull but during corrning the outside wheel will be able to rotate faster for correct tracking.(inside does the pulling)Only one chain is required to operate the Deffer but I plan on using this for a two person velocar so I added the second chain for strength/and a 6 speed freewheel block will be added to the hub
IMG_4095_zps5e85fbd2.jpg

What you built is, in essence, a Detroit Locker. The mechanism is a little different, but the principle is very much the same. I suspect that you'll find that if you enter a corner while pedaling, the outside wheel may stay locked rather than overrun, at least until you remove the torque load. But either way, its cool.

Re: building a .

expjawa said:
What you built is, in essence, a Detroit Locker. The mechanism is a little different, but the principle is very much the same. I suspect that you'll find that if you enter a corner while pedaling, the outside wheel may stay locked rather than overrun, at least until you remove the torque load. But either way, its cool.
Thanks for the head-up on that--I'll keep that in mind(if I ever get this thing built!)
And also thanks for the correct name---I knew it wasn't a true differential gear but didn't know what to call it.---sam

Re: building a .

frameteam2003 said:
expjawa said:
Thanks for the head-up on that--I'll keep that in mind(if I ever get this thing built!)
And also thanks for the correct name---I knew it wasn't a true differential gear but didn't know what to call it.---sam

Sam, it's a locker by classification. However, any device on an axle that allows a wheel speed difference to occur between the left and right wheels is a differential technically speaking. For the record, my day job involves design/testing/development of limited slip differentials, so I have some experience in the matter. What you've done there is pretty creative, should be effective and ought to have excellent traction for the most part. Just don't try to corner while pedaling hard in low gear, it may not steer...

Latest posts

Back