Cable Repair & Fray Prevention/Shifter Modification

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made an upgrade of safety to my 2023 build off bike, The Hellion. I swapped out the Shimano 3 speed freewheel I built for a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed with the coaster brake. Though my sissy bar mounted caliper brake is safe enough for me, this is now my wife’s bike and it needed more stopping power. The 3 speed with a coaster brake was the solution. A problem arose when I wanted to mate the Shimano 333 3 speed shifter cable to the Sachs hub attachment. Not a universal size. So I decided to swap the threaded attachment to mate the two together. Another problem arose, and that was attaching the threaded housing to the cable. Originally, some brass tubing was crimped on the end. I tried to replicate this, but the force of shifting pulled the cable stop off. So I went to Solderseal connectors and this was the winning solution! I tried the two smallest sizes, and the 22-18 AWG worked well. You could step up another size for more of a solder build up. Once the solder had melted and cooled, the plastic sleeve slid right off. This also works well for cable fray, if you ever have to cut cable. The solder can be sanded down if needed. I used a heat gun to melt the connectors, but a lighter or cigar torch could work also. I used a spare piece of cable to try out this idea before attempting the fix on the Hellion. I will post an update once the job is done. Throw some of the solderseal connectors in you bike repair kit!
IMG_2920.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_1172.jpeg

This sounds like a good addition to Matti's Tips n Trix thread.
If you say so, this went so far over my head, it was like he was speaking German and Japanese at the same time. Cool, but I don't think I understand what just happened

Translation: He modified a Shimano shifter cable to work with a Sachs hub. That transition required a new anchor point inside the barrel adjuster--a pre-soldered wire connector (red) fit the bill.

Latest posts

Back