california dreamin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rolling on my first build since I was a kid, this is way too much fun! Wanted to build a 24" krate adjacent" style bike. Started with a 52' schwinn DX style frame and added an S2 rim that I laced up with a shimano nexus 3 speed hub. next up should be the 26" springer frontend , a 24" slick tire, and a 20" wheel
IMG_1421.JPG

little by little its getting there! was able to get ahold of an old spitfire chainguard that fit, as well as a really really nice 5 speed stik shifter. took the front fender off of my sears spyder 5 speed for mock up and threw a back fender and seat and seatpost on to see for placement. Waiting on the rest of the parts to mock everything up and then its off for sandblasting and powdercoating
IMG_1460 2.JPG

a little more progress! Waiting on a seatpost clamp and a different seatpost (this one is sized for an original schwinn seat clamp I think, way too small for this reproduction seat.). Think I'm going to go with a slightly larger sissybar too. Figured out a way to mount a brake through the fender bridge using a cantilever shoe eyebolt, now I gotta figure out how I'm going to attach the rear fender. handlebars and stem look good, and the cranks and sprocket are all ready to go!
IMG_1472.JPG

no, Ill snap a pic the next time I'm at the workshop. took a bit to figure out since there isn't any kind of a brake bridge. saw a video where a builder used a cantilever shoe eyebolt to thread through the fender bridge. Found one on amazon for a couple of bucks and it did the trick.

And I think she's done! Had one of the top tube decals come off a bit on the way to take these pics ( maybe someone knows of a way to better protect them once they are on the frame) but other than that I'm really happy with it! I"m a photographer by trade so it was fun to photograph something that was mine for a change!
4G0A3445.jpg
4G0A3464.jpg
4G0A3463.jpg
4G0A3461.jpg
4G0A3460.jpg
4G0A3458.jpg
4G0A3452.jpg
4G0A3465.jpg
4G0A3474.jpg

Latest posts

Back