Can anybody help me with an old clock?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My granny's clock died last Easter and it has been in my home since. First, I tried to repair it and got side tracked with finsihing up school and my Eagle Scout. I've now gotten it out again want to have it done by Thanksgiving.

The problem is, the clock part of it works. It ticks and tocks and runs fine now, but I think I did something wrong and now something else is busted. The little weights that spin around and around no longer work and I know it has something to do with the wire in my fingers below. I can't seem to find where it connects and am at a loss for what to do. Please help, they got this clock when they and my mom lived in Germany in the 70s.

Also, please forgive me, I'm not repairing clocks often. My language may lack proper terms so go easy on me.

2182.jpg

The wire thing that came out?
2183.jpg

2184.jpg

If you're using a digital Camera use the little flower button. Its called macro, you can take close up shots and they wont get blurry.

But, i'm trying to restore a clock myself. The best thing I did was searched youtube. Look for a model and brand, and youtube/google it.

Lets try this one (thanks for the tip):

2185.jpg

So far, I've found out it is a balance wire and it needs to be replaced. Now I have to find where I can get one and how to install it.

only thing I know to tell you is take it to a jewelry shop and ask them. Most times they have an expert watchmaker and clock repairman on hand or know who to send you to. :wink:

Latest posts

Back