can anyone out there in ratrod land ID these bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to pick them up but dont know who made them..bike experts please lmk :D

both have same style chainring

First one is a Snyder built bike. Probably wore a Hawthorne badge, might have been their house brand of Rollfast. Mid 60's era. Here is one I had a while back.

2010-09-24023038.jpg

The second is a Murray built ladies Spaceliner style bike. Could have worn many badges- JC Higgins, Sears, Western Flyer...

Their sprockets are similar, but if you look at the inner most ring of cut outs you will see the Murray built is ovals and the Snyder built is triangles.

2010-09-23140542.jpg

oh cool...i knew some would be able to point it out. are they worth picking up? i have never really heard of the snyder brand

nostalgic.net said:
Rollfast bicycycles have a long and complex history that has close ties between two different company. The D.P. Harris Hardware and Manufacturing Company originated the name in the 1890′s, and later teamed up with the H.P. Snyder Manufacturing Company in the early 1900′s. Snyder was the primary manufacturer of the bicycles, while Harris provided some of the parts and marketed them. During the Great Depression, Snyder began manufacturing bicycles for other retailers such as Montgomery Ward who sold them under the Hawthorne name. Some sought after Snyder built Rollfast bicycles are the V-200 model and the Hopalong Cassidy bicycles. Snyder built Rollfast bicycles well into the 1970′s.

Just a little info on them. My current project is a Snyder built '32 Rollfast.

oh yeah.looks nothing like the headbadge...the bike badge is totally worn off...no sign of any print on it....do u recognize the shape by chance?

i can try and get one but its blank. no print on it at all. here is a bigger pic if it helps

oh looks different in the other pic. ill get a closeup tomorrow...any where i can see other bikes?

roland365 said:
Think 40 bux is good for that bike?
That's a decent deal. The other bike is a JC Higgins Flightliner, 1960-64. The two tone chainguard is the main thing that ID's it differently than the many other Murray built bikes with that frame. Also, I have one like the first bike, though mine is more ragged!
Hawthorne60stwinbar.jpg

It has a "tank" that's more like a big paperclip! -Adam

i didnt get it...its still there but i am still messing with a starjet right now....i got to get a bigger storage :D

Latest posts

Back