Can anyone tell me anything(else) about this Adler?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDR3uX.jpg

Found in a basement under a pile of wood. All I know is that Adler is a German company that made cars, motorcycles,bicycles, typewriters and sewing machines. Adler means eagle in German.
doNLe37.jpg

8xOI4Ja.jpg

ODAKN4T.jpg

302XqAH.jpg

bt2iiat.jpg

5eqgAjU.jpg

MMgQ1uC.jpg

0Cl2zh7.jpg

Bc6vYBp.jpg

M5ejxeK.jpg

5KnSmGB.jpg

PwwMO3T.jpg

pUK40F5.jpg

EAwNMvv.jpg

CZPMvPw.jpg

2VQjpqb.jpg

l6hpCfB.jpg

Is this a lock of some type? When you push it in it keeps the back wheel from turning as it blocks the spokes. Never seen this before.
l6hpCfB.jpg

OiOYkDq.jpg

Ci81VDK.jpg

8KwRzN4.jpg

L0B4NcW.jpg

xRfXBRl.jpg

Found some other shifters like this online but not the same number. One said 1952 and another one was marked 41. This is marked 51 as you can see. Is that the year or would that be too obvious?

Are you missing a picture? I don't see anything that can be pushed into the spokes. Looks like you may have posted a different picture twice.

Last edited:
That is a deluxe bike. Lots of cool features on that. I really like all the Adler Eagle components. I have never see shifter cable routing like that especially with the chain in the middle. That 3 speed derailer setup is very cool

I would clean and lube the bike and ride it.

Last edited:
That is a deluxe bike. Lots of cool features on that. I really like all the Adler Eagle components. I have never see shifter cable routing like that especially with the chain in the middle. That 3 speed derailer setup is very cool

I would clean and lube the bike and ride it.
I've never seen that either. It shifts good. Everything works but there's a hole in the back rim. It looked like something had spilled on it and it ate away at it. You know, like when the car battery terminals gets corroded? It looked like that. When I was cleaning it up I noticed the hole. Its about pea sized. I think the rims are aluminum. Does a hole in the rim make it really unsafe to ride? Other than that there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it. It needs tires.

That has some AWESOME details and accessories on it!:113:
I've never seen that either. It shifts good. Everything works but there's a hole in the back rim. It looked like something had spilled on it and it ate away at it. You know, like when the car battery terminals gets corroded? It looked like that. When I was cleaning it up I noticed the hole. Its about pea sized. I think the rims are aluminum. Does a hole in the rim make it really unsafe to ride? Other than that there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it. It needs tires.
It has wingnuts! I mean how cool is that?

What a nicely equipped old bike you've found.
'That' is a crusty spring loaded spoke lock.
You can try spraying some penetrant and let it soak to loosen up the internals and free up the key(which I think is the bent rounded tab on top).
The lock bar(bottom in pic) should (in theory)push the key straight out when engaged.
Good Luck, I find those style of locks can come in handy from time to time.

hBFk05K.jpg

What a nicely equipped old bike you've found.
'That' is a crusty spring loaded spoke lock.
You can try spraying some penetrant and let it soak to loosen up the internals and free up the key(which I think is the bent rounded tab on top).
The lock bar(bottom in pic) should (in theory)push the key straight out when engaged.
Good Luck, I find those style of locks can come in handy from time to time.

Well it does deter, at least if you planned on not riding it home and doing a wheelie on the front end.

hBFk05K.jpg

That is truly a awesome German bike. Love the front sprocket. It and so many of the other parts look art deco to me. It even has a Bosch headlight.

For a Euro bike, that's pretty neat. I'm betting that bike is pre 1945. I don't think those little 3rd Reich looking eagles would have lasted past 1945. Gary

Latest posts

Back