Can pedals like this be overhauled?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've read that cheaper rubber-block pedals often times cannot be overhauled, but I thought I'd ask here first before junking it. I've overhauled a couple of pedals in the past that have hex nuts holding the rubber blocks in place, but I don't see anything to unscrew here. The plates don't appear to pry off either.

2eqfdog.jpg

2h4asdg.jpg

25frifr.jpg

xqevkz.jpg

4htpp1.jpg

Upon inspecting our bikes I noticed that one of my wife's bikes (which has long since had squeaky/loose pedals) and a few of my bikes have this style of pedal. I thought I'd hop on Ebay and try to score a couple replacement pedals, but almost all of the pedals in this style seem to be of the variety that cannot be overhauled. Any recommendations for similarly-styled pedals (ie, not cheap looking modern plastic pedals) that can be maintained?

Thanks!

someone here did a how-to on servicing these types a long time ago. I mean years ago.

A bit of searching brought me this post:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-do-i-overhaul-these-pedals.29073/#post-285323

If this is the thread you have in mind then I guess I'm out of luck (the tightness is what really bothers me; it's impossible to judge the terrain below your feet accurately when the pedals are constantly wobbling).

Sheldon's site brought me to a replacement pair of pedals that I'm alright with, though:

http://www.sunlitecycling.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Cruz+Sport&cl1=PEDALS

You won't mistake them for a vintage pedal, but these aren't going to be put on a super important project anyways. They kinda resemble the vintage metal pedals of yesterday, and more importantly, they're serviceable. Works for me. (Plus they're pretty cheap).

I was just in a similar boat not too long ago...
Dismantled and cleaned thing up as well as I could. I could get the blocks and their shafts off but the spindle was mushroomed (no way that was coming off!). What I ended up doing was squirting WD in to get as much of the old grease out of there, then using an oral surgery irrigation syringe (has a real fine tip) and injecting bearing grease into the spindle bearing area with it... it seems to have worked pretty good.

I like Sunlite products. They are good quality. Remove the reflectors, and drill a bunch of holes similar to the ones the reflectors are pressed into, and they will look better. Not that they look bad to begin with.

here's the thread I was thinking of. It's a sticky in the HOW TO section:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/one-hour-pedal-repair.60470/

Yeah, I've had good experience with Sunlite's products, so that was a plus. And yeah, I had the same thoughts on the reflectors :D

Thanks to everyone who offered advice! As stated above, I'll probably have to let the pedals pictured in this thread go, as there is no apparent way of tightening them up (which is a much bigger nuisance to me than any amount of squeaking), but I think I have a few other pairs I may be able to still salvage :).

Latest posts

Back