can you disassemble a cluster? how?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a free motorcycle tire to maybe try on a project. it's a little wider than what most people try (150/80-16) but being a whitewall i wanted to give it a shot.

there's no frame made, but just eyeballing it, the regular occ freewheel won't clear a chainline i'm pretty sure, but i think the small sprocket on a 5 speed cluster i tried might. i think i have a 7 speed cluster around that might clear even better if needed.

but if i try it, i'd like to take the other sprockets off just to clean up the look, or even better. take them all off and put the 3rd or 4th sprocket in the small sprocket spot by it's self.

is this possible? can someone explain how it comes apart if so? thanks.

I think you need two chain whips to disassemble it. The last cog is threaded on clockwise.

you might be able to leave off all the other sprockets and put a spacer, piece of pipe maybe, in place of them all and thread the last sprocket on. I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I took one apart, but it is possible. Back in the 80s we used to take them apart to replace the couple we road the most in because they wore out first.

I took a couple of 7-speed freewheels apart with a small air hammer, and they both had lockrings.

stingray-019.jpg

Here's I've got the spacers from two freewheels stacked up. You're going to have to make some, or use more than one freewheel to have enough spacers.
stingray-020.jpg

stingray-021.jpg

stingray-022.jpg

stingray-023.jpg

FunkyStickman said:

that's just what i want to end up with. thanks. i think this idea isn't going much further (gonna look again for the 130 tire most use), but if i do this will help me. thanks again.

oh, and a helpful hint. if you look up chain whips on ebay, don't have a kid looking over your shoulder :shock:

Philphine said:
FunkyStickman said:

that's just what i want to end up with. thanks. i think this idea isn't going much further (gonna look again for the 130 tire most use), but if i do this will help me. thanks again.

oh, and a helpful hint. if you look up chain whips on ebay, don't have a kid looking over your shoulder :shock:

haha!

So all clusters come apart like this?

This is what I need to do to be able to have chain clearance for the Harley tire I am putting on my Dahon Folding Fugsley.

FunkyStickman said:
ratina said:

....... If it doesn't have a lockring, then usually the smallest cog is threaded on.

This is correct and very important! Older freewheels (the vast majority of freewheels out there on used bikes with 5-6 speed drivetrains) have the threaded outer cog and do NOT have a lockring for the cogs. If you find and start removing a 'lockring' looking piece with pin spanner holes on an older freewheel you will actually be disassembling the freewheeling mechanism and will have tiny bearings, springs, and pawls all over your workbench..... :wink:

Bendix said:
FunkyStickman said:
ratina said:

....... If it doesn't have a lockring, then usually the smallest cog is threaded on.

This is correct and very important! Older freewheels (the vast majority of freewheels out there on used bikes with 5-6 speed drivetrains) have the threaded outer cog and do NOT have a lockring for the cogs. If you find and start removing a 'lockring' looking piece with pin spanner holes on an older freewheel you will actually be disassembling the freewheeling mechanism and will have tiny bearings, springs, and pawls all over your workbench..... :wink:

Yes, and those are some tiny bearings to try to find on your cluttered shop floor. :shock: :oops:

Latest posts

Back