cant remove my front sprocket.. to rusty!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Schwinn panther trying to restore but cant get the parts loose due to rust.. any good methods o remove the sprocket

PB Blaster is one of the more popular sprays to loosen rust. Do you have the crank off of the frame? If so, put the crank in a vise and use a big Crescent wrench to loosen the stationary cone. It has a flat spot on either side for your tool. Gary

I've aligned the flat spots on the nut with the vise jaws and tapped the crank arm to get it loosened.

Channel locks, PB blaster, and brute force. :mrgreen: Or just trade it off to me... If it's that red one you were tinkering with last year it'd look nice next to my RaTornado.

PB Blast always works. And for EXTRA stuck stuff use a Propane torch to heat it up

:mrgreen:

Wildcat said:
I've aligned the flat spots on the nut with the vise jaws and tapped the crank arm to get it loosened.

I personally think this is the best way, along with soaking in PB Blaster.
My father's old brass hammer works wonders as a dead blow persuader. Thanks Dad!

PB Blaster is great once the nut, bolt turns. But before that the threads need to be shocked, with a hammer if needed.
I use an alum. drift to hit so the bearing race does not recieve the shock!

Also, buy a wrench that fits, a pipe wrench works until you get ahold of the bearing surface gets grabbed onto.

Latest posts

Back